Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flasks are mightily heavy  (Read 1009 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flasks are mightily heavy
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:12:43 pm »

I had always assumed that flasks were one of those 'weigh-nothing' items, so was somewhat surprised on checking to discover a bronze flask weighs 12 units, a gold around 19 units. That's as heavy as a mail shirt, and many times heavier than the contained drink. Flasks are in fact, about as heavy as large stone pots or wooden barrels. Not that it's not dwarfy to carry around a pot of booze, but I guess it's leatherskins for my dorfs from now on.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
Re: Flasks are mightily heavy
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:07:49 pm »

Would you happen to know the lightest type of flask?
(My guess would be aluminum, but there is much !!SCIENCE!! to be done, and I am not the man to do it.)
Regards,
Dampe

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 09:12:28 pm »

Leatherskins might be better then? I usually would make silver flasks, so this explains some slow movement...
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 11:03:10 pm »

Actually candy flasks are the lightest. However waterskins are always better than flasks.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 03:30:10 am »

I have never seen them admire their own flasks anyway. So I guess the cheapest and lightest, the better.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 04:07:33 am »

Adamantine flasks are not only the lightest, they're also a decent way of maximising value per wafer - you get the full three flasks per job, from a single wafer.

Dwarfs choose the most valuable flask they can find (which is why they love to carry around the vials i use to extract golden salve - that's a 2500☼ extra value! and for some reason they can still pour their booze into it without getting the two liquids mixed up). Since it's military equipment, they _probably_ don't get any mood benefit from it, though: as i understand it, dwarfs get a mood benefit from owned items, so while they don't produce messages about admiring their clothes, they apparently appreciate having nice socks nonetheless, as long as those are their personal property and not government-issued army socks.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 01:43:31 pm »

as i understand it, dwarfs get a mood benefit from owned items, so while they don't produce messages about admiring their clothes, they apparently appreciate having nice socks nonetheless, as long as those are their personal property and not government-issued army socks.
As far as I know, this is correct - a dwarf's base Happiness is affected by the number of owned items, though there is a limit on the bonus.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.