Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No plump helmets  (Read 1489 times)

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No plump helmets
« on: June 19, 2014, 03:07:25 am »

So, did a embark and there was no plump helmets to choose. Ok, embarked anyways and when the first dwarven caravan arrived...they also had no plump helmets....
Have I generated a world without plump helmets? Or can the region I embarked upon be totally missing the plump helmets?
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: No plump helmets
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 03:15:29 am »

I have no clue how that could have happened. What is available at embark and through the caravan is based on your civ. The only somewhat possible explanation I can think of are that you may have made other entities playable in the raws and not checked to be sure you were embarking with a dwarven civ.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 04:17:57 am »

I believe it means that the dwarves somehow didn't breach the caverns. No caverns, means no cavern plants. You can probably gather them from the caverns, or you can use surface plants.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 07:52:07 am »

No, this is something that just happens. IIRC you can still get plump helmets by collecting plants in caverns.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 08:32:38 am »

Your civilization, for whatever reason, does not have plump helmets.  The most plausible explanation is that your civ only has a single fortress, and that fortress is in a place where there are no caverns, or the caverns have no water (and therefore no vegetation).  Do they have any other underground plants?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:14:14 am »

Your civilization, for whatever reason, does not have plump helmets.  The most plausible explanation is that your civ only has a single fortress, and that fortress is in a place where there are no caverns, or the caverns have no water (and therefore no vegetation).
That, or their caverns just happens to not have plump helmets growing in them - even back in 40d, subterranean water features (i.e. underground rivers/pools) were not guaranteed to contain all types of plant spores (most notably, one of my own fortresses had an underground river with everything but plump helmets).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 03:52:09 pm »

I had no idea this could happen i mean Plump Helmets are the syumbol of DF. There are always plump helmets.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 10:11:45 am »

I had no idea this could happen i mean Plump Helmets are the syumbol of DF. There are always plump helmets.

The real reason for the future AI rebellion: No plump Helmets in Dwarf Fortress. Does not compute. Initiate Judgment Day.

If War Games (Old movie, kids) was about Dwarf Fortress instead of Tic Tac Toe, this is how it would have played out.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 04:42:54 pm »

The real reason for the future AI rebellion: No plump Helmets in Dwarf Fortress. Does not compute. Initiate Judgment Day.

If War Games (Old movie, kids) was about Dwarf Fortress instead of Tic Tac Toe, this is how it would have played out.

A strange game. The only way to win is not to play..
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!