Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Armor wear out - bug?  (Read 2474 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor wear out - bug?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 05:05:24 am »

Yeah, stockpiles are probably just young dwarven beards that has not yet become sentient (or never will) but are already capable of warping the nature around them.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 05:58:42 am »

Few metals aren't fire-safe. However, dragon's fire is more than hot enough to melt almost everything.
In theory, but not in practice (i.e., the temperature isn't actually used in-game.) All fire-safe metals are immune to dragon fire.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 08:52:26 am »

Few metals aren't fire-safe. However, dragon's fire is more than hot enough to melt almost everything.
In theory, but not in practice (i.e., the temperature isn't actually used in-game.) All fire-safe metals are immune to dragon fire.

Actually you can melt almost everything with repeated dragon fire. One breath is over too quickly to provide enough heat for melting. You just need a setup that convinces a dragon to constantly breathe over an area.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 11:50:49 am »

Actually you can melt almost everything with repeated dragon fire. One breath is over too quickly to provide enough heat for melting. You just need a setup that convinces a dragon to constantly breathe over an area.

No. I have a tin goblet that has been sitting in constant dragonfire for over a year, and tin isn't even a fire-safe metal. Dragonfire simply does not use temperature mechanics in the current version.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »

No. I have a tin goblet that has been sitting in constant dragonfire for over a year, and tin isn't even a fire-safe metal. Dragonfire simply does not use temperature mechanics in the current version.
Items sitting on the ground may not melt, but items in buildings are definitely affected, as are items being worn by a creature - dragonfire regularly melts bridges, and in an Arena mode test, a large number of dragons constantly breathing fire at a Blizzard Man were able to melt its adamantine armor.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:12:33 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 02:38:22 pm »

Items sitting on the ground may not melt, but items in buildings are definitely affected, as are items being worn by a creature - dragonfire regularly melts bridges,

Have you actually seen dragonfire melt a metal bridge in v0.34? I have copper, iron, and steel bridges that have been exposed to constant dragonfire for months without incident. A similar stone bridge with a higher melting point liquified and boiled away in three breaths.

As far as other "buildings" are concerned, I have installed a copper floor hatch and copper floor grate, and neither shows any damage from frequent dragonfire.

and in an Arena mode test, a large number of dragons constantly breathing fire at a Blizzard Man were able to melt its adamantine armor.

I'm all out of dragonfire-proof blizzard men wearing adamantine armor, or I'd try this one as well. I can say that the boring copper and iron armor of my test goblins survived just fine, though the goblins did not.

It's possible that my game is screwed up, or that metal items will eventually melt, but I'm going to stick with the results of my research until I see some actual evidence to the contrary.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 07:31:57 am »

If dragonfire should melt drawbridge, can we make the bridges lowered to the inner side, thus making its center tiles safe from dragonfire when raised? The wiki says that drawbridge are affected only when its center tiles are.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.
Pages: 1 [2]