Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game is crashing during world creation. Help?  (Read 1333 times)

rrroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game is crashing during world creation. Help?
« on: June 20, 2014, 07:24:26 pm »

Downloaded the new version, and during world creation when the histories are being written, the game will crash. The only setting I've touched at all is having dwarves show up with no skills. Everything is left as is.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
Re: Game is crashing during world creation. Help?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 07:26:26 pm »

Downloaded the new version, and during world creation when the histories are being written, the game will crash. The only setting I've touched at all is having dwarves show up with no skills. Everything is left as is.

Happens to me as well. The suggestion to remove civilizations doesn't seem to help much, and it does it to me on multiple machines (physical and virtual).

Just keep trying and you may have to settle with a young world.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 07:32:54 pm »

150 years commonly works for me.  That seems to be the breakpoint where after that it usually starts crashing.  I'm not sure I've ever managed over 300 with Masterwork.

rrroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 07:38:30 pm »

Okay, thanks all.

kasan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 09:21:04 pm »

150 years commonly works for me.  That seems to be the breakpoint where after that it usually starts crashing.  I'm not sure I've ever managed over 300 with Masterwork.

I genned a world to 1200 yesterday.  I had set it to run until 95% of the mega beasts were dead and to start checking at year 200.  1200 was the absolute limit on world gen time.  Took about 30 minutes for a medium region.  Once I assigned the game to a single processor core I stopped getting world related crashes.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 08:39:34 am »

I genned a world to 1200 yesterday.  I had set it to run until 95% of the mega beasts were dead and to start checking at year 200.  1200 was the absolute limit on world gen time.  Took about 30 minutes for a medium region. Once I assigned the game to a single processor core I stopped getting world related crashes.

Also do not alt+tab or otherwise change to another window or program during the entire process of world gen. Go have lunch or read a book or something.