Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military dwarves hauling  (Read 1734 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military dwarves hauling
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:19:54 am »

Every now and then I notice some active duty militia dwarves hauling a pot of booze along. It is listed as "hauled" in their inventory. Urist McMilitiadwarf doesn't seem to understand that "large cobaltite pot" is heavy and slows him down to a crawl.

Temporary solution I found is to remove squad with the hauler from active duty, and then immideately set it to active again. But as mentioned, it's temporary.
Is there a permanent solution? What am I doing wrong?

P.S: All 10 squad membs are set to train all the time.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military dwarves hauling
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:25:28 am »

Sounds like you're having them carry booze and food rations. Set the squad to not carry around food or any sort of drink.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 11:05:37 am »

When a dwarf gets thirsty, he drinks.  If he is a military dwarf (or off-duty military dwarf) carrying a waterskin with booze in it, he'll drink that.  Otherwise, he will look for the nearest(?) barrel/pot full of booze and drink from that.

In the latter case, the dwarf picks up the barrel (it becomes part of his inventory) and commences quaffing.  When he's done, he now has a barrel full of booze in his inventory (or an empty barrel, if he got the last sip).  He will take this barrel to an appropriate stockpile.  This returning-the-barrel bypasses all of the hauling labor settings, because it's already in his inventory.

So, how to avoid this?  Make sure your military squads are set to carry booze (this is on by default), and that they have enough waterskins/flasks available so everyone can carry one.  They will automatically take one as part of their uniform (it's not on the uniform/equipment screens, like the quiver that marksdwarves get).  At some point, hopefully, they will get the idea that their waterskin should have booze in it, and then they will perform a "Fill waterskin" job.  They need to do this job before they become thirsty.

If your military dwarves are so busy that they never had a chance to fill their waterskins before becoming thirsty, then you get the barrel-drinking as noted in the first paragraph, which takes ages.  You want to avoid this.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 01:34:24 pm »

Due to a bug, military dwarves going on active duty will carry any hauled item to their training, station, or even into combat (and, sometimes, back to where they should have put it originally). Since dwarves spend a significant amount of time holding barrels of booze, they often end up dragging them (slowly) all over the fortress. Other non-hauling jobs can have a similar effect: when I was cross-training my soldiers in siege operating, I had several report for duty lugging ballista arrows.

To convince a dwarf to drop his burden, view his inventory and forbid the hauled item. To reduce future incidents, try to disable and/or prevent any jobs that require carrying items.

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 04:05:39 pm »

To add to what greycat posted:

Just like waterskins and quivers, Backpacks are imortant and are auto equiped by your military dwarves. They allow for your squads to carry food effectively. Allowing for longer patrol / sentry duty.
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 10:14:49 pm »

Making more waterskins solved the problem. Thankyou very much!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 01:32:28 pm »

sometimes a waterskin just doesn't have enough in it.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku