Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to use salt water in a reaction?  (Read 1074 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any way to use salt water in a reaction?
« on: June 17, 2014, 07:20:20 pm »

Sort of a long shot, but is there some way to allow dwarves to collect salt laced water and specify it or the salt itself somehow as a reagent that works? I see that salt is a material token, but can't think of a way to get it to the workshop.

(My goal is a building that evaporates salt out of saltwater)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Any way to use salt water in a reaction?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 12:07:09 pm »

Not without dfhack. I requested a de-salination plant type plugin/script several times, but the general consens is that "a screw pump can filter water", ignoring that fact that I wanted to create salt. ;)

So... no, not with raws.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 04:48:10 pm »

Well, I think the first step would be getting a script/reaction to accept spatter on an item as a reagent. Salt water is water coated in salt.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:14:32 pm »

There's also the issue that there is no way to order a dwarf to fill a bucket with salt water in the first place - the best you can do is build a Well over a pool of salt water, get a dwarf to drink from the well (which will succeed, for some reason, and also leave the well bucket with salt water in it), and then deconstruct the well.

Alternatively, you could run a minecart through a pool of salt water, but then you'd have to make your reaction accept minecarts as well as buckets...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 10:39:51 pm »

Hm... minecarts you say...

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 12:44:50 am »

The steam engine plugin detects if water is under the workshop. If this could be done with salt-water, people could build a desalination plant that only works when build above salt-water, removing a unit of water for every time the reaction is run... it would work the same way, but instead of producing power it would produce a bucket/barrel of water, and a unit of sand (power_misc in a bag I would suggest)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 01:14:23 am »

I imagine it would be fairly simple with dfhack.  Trying to come up with a way to use only raws. Especially this close to a release I feel discouraged from using scripts that I may not be able to even test or that may not even work again later for quite some time. Managed to solve almost everything else with raws only, too, and it's not worth breaking from that for this. I would sooner just only use rock salt.

Minecarts seem maybe feasible though. Can you make a reagent of "Salt in a minecart"  where the covering or whatever of salt on the water in the cart would qualify? If so, you could leave a stocpile of minecart, flood it with saltwater, close the gate, pump water back out, collect salty minecarts. Which although it sounds ridiculous, wouldn't actually be that different from how people really do salt evaporation!! And thus I might actually be cool with that. If it works.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 01:16:16 am »

There is no way for reactions to distinguish between salt water and fresh water.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 01:19:27 am »

I mean just salt.
NONE:NONE:SALT:NONE 
in a minecart.

?

(is there an item token for contaminant? Or are they  just not items at all in which case I guess this wouldnt work?)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:21:52 am by GavJ »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 01:27:20 am »

You cant target contaminants either.