Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garbage dump mechanics  (Read 565 times)

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Garbage dump mechanics
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:18:31 am »

How does garbage mechanics works? At my current game my dwarfs tend to bring items from outside marked for dumping to my stockpile and then bring it to the garbage dump, not using the garbage dump outside right away?

In other games I do not remember having this problem, what factors should I take into account?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Garbage dump mechanics
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:05:13 am »

You seem to be blurring a couple different features together.

Refuse is a stockpile category of items which includes vermin remains, bones, shells, miscellaneous body parts, etc.  If you create a refuse stockpile, and if you enable the collection of refuse in the options (note: there are three separate options: collecting refuse, collecting refuse from outside, and collecting vermin remains from outside), then dwarves will move refuse items to the stockpile as they see fit.

Garbage is a type of zone you can designate using the i command.  Garbage zones sit there and do nothing until you mark items for dumping.  Dumping an item causes the dwarves to move it to the nearest garbage zone (in case you have more than one), and drop it on the ground, and mark it as forbidden.  Note: if the garbage zone is next to open space (a channel, or a downward ramp, or just a bunch of open space next to a catwalk, etc.) the dwarves will actually drop the item into the open space, instead of on the ground.

If I understand your question correctly, maybe you marked the items for dumping after a dwarf had already decided to stockpile it, and was on her way to pick it up?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:49:08 am »

If I understand your question correctly, maybe you marked the items for dumping after a dwarf had already decided to stockpile it, and was on her way to pick it up?

Should not be the problem, it have been outside (and forbidden) a long time, then marked for dumping and reclaimed.

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 01:10:49 pm »

Garbage is a type of zone you can designate using the i command.  Garbage zones sit there and do nothing until you mark items for dumping.  Dumping an item causes the dwarves to move it to the nearest garbage zone (in case you have more than one), and drop it on the ground, and mark it as forbidden.  Note: if the garbage zone is next to open space (a channel, or a downward ramp, or just a bunch of open space next to a catwalk, etc.) the dwarves will actually drop the item into the open space, instead of on the ground.

When you put the garbage zone next to an open space, do you designate the zone ON the open space tile or on the firm ground NeXT to the open space?

OR at the bottom of the cliff??
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:31:08 pm by g2knee »

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 05:25:17 pm »

You designate the dump zone where the dwarf will stand while dumping the item. They will dump it on the spot, unless they can throw it off an edge from that spot.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.