Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Dwarfs and their orders.  (Read 667 times)

Zeni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Dwarfs and their orders.
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:57:40 am »

Gday folks!
After playing around for a long time with military dwarves and organizing both their schedules and alerts I am still having problems that I cannot find answer to on the wikis.
I have a squad of 5, and they have a schedule which has two of them train and two of them remain on station. I have placed the station and assigned the station to that part of their order, but they continue to randomly train/other things. They are on my "duty" alert and are active.
None of them take their position, allowing for babies to be stolen.

Zeni

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Dwarfs and their orders.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:16:14 am »

I have a squad of 5, and they have a schedule which has two of them train and two of them remain on station.

Oh gods, that hurts my head just thinking about it.  I don't mess with that kind of thing at all.  If I want two groups of dwarves to do two different things, I'll just make two squads.  The squads can alternate months, training vs. patrolling.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:38:38 pm »

I have a squad of 5, and they have a schedule which has two of them train and two of them remain on station.

Oh gods, that hurts my head just thinking about it.  I don't mess with that kind of thing at all.  If I want two groups of dwarves to do two different things, I'll just make two squads.  The squads can alternate months, training vs. patrolling.

Yeah, this. Although I don't even bother with seasonal orders. I just put a barracks at a point I want defended and have the squad train there since that way the dwarves defend and train simultaneously, it works great against snatchers and the squad will be well-trained and ready to deal with ambushes and sieges. They can also drink, eat and sleep as they wish (the bed is in the same place), which keeps the moral high. Military dwarves don't need any "off duty" time to be happy, they just need time without station/kill orders.

Also having babies stolen is no great loss. The other day an idiot-child went moody and claimed an outdoor craftdwarf workshop. A snatcher carried him away. I was overjoyed and delighted.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:31:10 pm »

Urist McChild went on the create an Iron Artifact Scourge. Enjoy the next siege!

If only.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Zeni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 11:44:16 pm »

Thanks for your insight guys, but the dwarves seemed to work their own stuff out. Works like a charm now. I have an entrance guarded by a one-armed one-legged shield dwarf.  8)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 11:14:41 am »

His nickname shall be Stumpimus Merillius.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0