Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alligator Huntin'  (Read 490 times)

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alligator Huntin'
« on: June 16, 2014, 12:23:35 pm »

Ya, its masterwork mod, but its a general question really.  What's the safest way to get river creatures out of the water and into a shiny new cage?  Only thing I could think of was to build a cage trap tunnel and tap into the river right near the alligators, but would they actually swim into the tunnel?
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: Alligator Huntin'
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:30:59 pm »

alligators are aggressive, so your job is really easy. create an easy access tunnel into your fort and rig the entrance with cage traps. put a delicous kitten chained close to the entrance. they should come up any minute.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 04:32:10 pm »

I don't know about in Masterwork DF but in vanilla alligators are amphibious are they not?
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 06:40:28 pm »

In my experience, alligators will only attack when a citizen passes near them. Just giving them a path into your fort won't do the trick. Surface animals are also quite unlikely to step into tiles that are underground.

Fortunately, alligators are amphibious and will travel all over the map, so are as susceptible to well-placed cage traps as other large game. The main difference is that their movement can't be restricted with waterfilled moats, like for elephants and goblins.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:41:59 pm »

I have definately had alligators aggro from more then the adjacent block. Never more than a few away, but defenitely further than adjacent.

Sounds like a chained dwarf is the answer, rather than an animal.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0