Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What's your biggest migration wave number?  (Read 8841 times)

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your biggest migration wave number?
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2014, 12:37:47 am »

(yes yes - necro etc etc)

53 migrants. from 11, 1 skipped season ('your fortress has attracted no migrants this season'), to 64. None very special.

no artifacts...no candy. all i did was dig a hole and smooth it...lol.

Kattel.

edit: 26 children.......ALL from one family. i feel like the vonTraps just moved in. I see a lot of cousin marrying in there future. (does the game even allow that? lol....the things you ask about df.)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:10:05 am by Kattel »
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2014, 12:53:41 am »

I've found the most reliable way to get huge immigration waves (usually unintentionally) is by having a fairly affluent fort that just got pulverized by an invader of some sort. If your wealth is above 100,000, and you have like, 4 survivors, the game will send a huge wave to repopulate your fort. I've gotten upwards of 100 dwarves in a wave this way.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2014, 08:48:31 am »

I hate those huge waves with the fiery rage of a thousand suns.

But there's a pretty easy workaround, wich improved the quality of my gameplay tenfold.
The first two waves are always small, usually putting my fort somewhere between 15 and 20 dwarves. The problem is the following wave.

Let's say I want a fort of 40 people:
- set population cap at 40 and start the fort
- right after the second wave use fix/population-cap in dfhack
- enjoy your next wave, putting your fort exactly at the population cap (can be 1-2 dwarves more/less than your selected cap)
- right after this wave, use fix/population-cap again and never get another migrant again, unless you want it

When you want to increase your population:
- save and exit
- set the new population cap and restart the game
- use fix/population-cap
- very soon you'll get an appropriately sized wave
- use fix/population-cap again to stop the immigration

It's awesome.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2014, 05:58:52 pm »

That makes me think its based on ( fortress_value / current_population ).  I know that if I have everyone sleeping in teh grass/dirt with the only roof being over the workshop building, i'll get 1 to, maybe, a dozen imgrants each wave.  However, if I've struck valuable deposits while excavating the underground portion of my above ground fort, the migrant wave size jumps up quite a bit.

The largest I can think of off hand was 49 dwarves.  I started with 7, got 4 more (11 total) on the first wave due to everyone sleeping in the rain/dirt, then 49 dwarves for the second wave (right before the first caravan) because I'd built the living quarters into a large deposit of jet, so everyone room was high quality even before smoothing the floors and walls.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2014, 12:39:43 am »

i just beat my previous 53, with a 57. mind you i have started smoothing anything that's stone so its value has skyrocketed recently, that im digging through veins of native gold like its mud...

however....

27 are children, all related. that plus the 26 children that were all cousins in the first large wave. i wondering exactly what is going on here? why such i high percentage of children i wonder.

Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2014, 08:04:07 pm »

I believe at one point it was 60 or 80.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]