Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Desktop Computer Mouse Button Problems  (Read 636 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Desktop Computer Mouse Button Problems
« on: July 21, 2014, 04:44:10 pm »

My plug in mouse seems to be rather screwed up (as of a day or two ago). This is rather annoying and affects normal usage.

In simple sum:
The left mouse button does not appear to work at all.
The right mouse button appears to either function as the left click usually would and/or as both mouse buttons at the same time.
(Rarely, the buttons won't register at all, or at least not on the first try).

Attempted (and failed) Remedies:
I have tried a system restore to about 4 or 5 days ago. This does not seem to fix the problem.
I have tried to bring up the "mouse" program.
I have tried updating drivers (the system states the driver is up to date).

Additional Details:
Mouse is a Microsoft USB Input Device HID Compliant Mouse.
Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385
I noticed these issues while playing Starcraft. Negative Performance Results....
I can not perform simple tasks: grabbing and dragging a window from one monitor to another or to a different location on the same monitor.
Right clicking on the desktop now opens the menu normally opened by the left click button.

Questions:
Obviously, how do I get this back to normal?
Is it a hardware problem?
Is it a software or setting problem?

Thank you for your time,
Truean
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:52:58 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Desktop Computer Mouse Button Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 05:03:48 pm »

I would try a different mouse - if you don't have one laying around you could borrow one from a friend?   Or buy a cheap one - I know microcenter has $5 mice (they feel like $5 mice unfortunately).  If you need to replace it, if you don't insist on some crazy "gaming" mouse you can find logitech mice for cheap.  Every one of those I have had has been able to take a beating for years.  Although I just looked and this one is a Microsoft mouse, haha I don't know where I got it but it's been working pretty well for a few years now too :D

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:20:38 pm »

I fear it might be the hardware. RIP clicky.

I have had a wireless logitech mouse/keyboard in storage, but preferred to use the wired ones.

That mouse at least has basic functionality and clicks correctly.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but it feels and seems to function differently than the wired mouse did (before it went haywire).  It feels like I it responds differently and believe it or not, without the same sensitivity of the old one. I am trying to configure the " Pointer Options --> Motion --> Pointer Speed" to make it as close as possible.

The mouse wireless mouse feels ... laggy? Sluggish? I dunno. There was a reason I went back to the wired mouse instead of the wireless one. Oddly, I've had my share of mice. Wheeled ones, laser ones, incredibly old ones, brand new ones. For some reason, a simple corded mouse with no delay or sluggishness seems to work best in my crazy little opinion.

Just as Dwarf Fortress is the true test of how much your CPU can handle before it fries; Starcraft is the true test of a mouse. Let's see how this goes... after food.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:24:10 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:27:39 pm »

Depending on how much you want to mess with it, you could take it apart and see if anything is obviously fixable inside (wire loose or whatever).  And clean any gunk out - once in a while stuff gets in mine, especially under the mouse wheel, and makes it act funny 'til I clean it.  The screws are usually under the rubber feet...

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 05:32:38 pm »

Take mouse in one hand, hold in the air roughly one foot above the desk, take other hand, hold this hand open like your about to slap a Perv, apply hand to bottom of the mouse repeatedly, If this doesn't work bang on desk once or twice, if problems continue get a new one.

*actually works trust me, I'm training to be a engineer.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 06:04:01 pm »

Might want to check under Control Panel --> Devices & Hardware --> Devices And Printers (Simplified) or Device Manager (Advanced)

Devices & Printers will generally say if Windows can find anything wrong, and try to fix it. There'll be a big Caution sign on the device icon.

Device Manager will basically show you the actual device components on the system, which is where the problem might be. Same story though. Yellow caution signs = problems. Though I've never tried it with my mouse, with both keyboards and game controllers I've ended up disabing the HID components to fix issues before. However, if you disable the wrong HID object....your mouse may stop working entirely. So tread lightly in there. But at least you can see if any components/drivers are throwing errors. Backwards buttons and such sort of sounds like you've got competing device profiles or something, because the hardware would have to be seriously fucked up to be that broken.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti