Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A list of Bugs, Balances, and Issues - Community Input Requested!  (Read 3718 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: A list of Bugs, Balances, and Issues - Community Input Requested!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 11:11:19 am »

This may just be me being petty, but I've been looking through the raws and they're spastically formatted at best, and the descriptions are (IMO) rife with unnecessarily purple prose. Badly spelled purple prose. If you can use the word "diaphanous" correctly (which I actually had to look up the definition of) but misspell "face" in the same 60-something word description, more than twice as long as even the longest creature description in the base game and twice as dense, I think you need to be slightly more stringent with quality control.

EDIT: Also just found the Beisswurm entry, referring to something called a Biter? The only creature I've found by that name is the Quetzalcoatl, whose raw name is BITER. Was the original Biter remodeled into that or have I just not found it yet?

EDIT2: Ten years for an overgrown snake to become an adult? Literally nothing in vanilla DF takes that long except civilized races. Hell, even in real life some of the largest snakes reach sexual maturity within the first few years of their life.
Many of the entries in the mod I havent written myself, which includes the Beisswurm. The BITER is from Narhiril I think... but it would help me to fix typos/wrong words if you would tell me where you found them. Face is mispelled... where?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 11:24:27 am »

creature_cavern_masterwork.txt, search for "diaphanous" and it's a few words before that. Would you also consider cleaning up the formatting to make it uniform and more in line with vanilla DF entries? I'm seeing random line breaks, bad tabbing, no tabbing, and one instance of body sizes and material values defined by gender instead of by the overall creature when there was no difference between the two at all. And this is all in the one file.

EDIT: Also random stuff outside brackets, notably waspet before and _exotic after every single instance of [PET_EXOTIC]. Massive amounts of needless bloat and clutter.

EDIT2: "Earthen constructs" being products of necromancy, oh dear lord.

EDIT4: The armoured warklin's description is 124 words long. This is ridiculous.

EDIT4: Brown burrowers are compared in size to halflings. As far as I can see, halflings do not even exist in this mod.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 11:33:43 am by Zaerosz »
くコ:彡

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 11:40:38 am »

creature_cavern_masterwork.txt, search for "diaphanous" and it's a few words before that. Would you also consider cleaning up the formatting to make it uniform and more in line with vanilla DF entries? I'm seeing random line breaks, bad tabbing, no tabbing, and one instance of body sizes and material values defined by gender instead of by the overall creature when there was no difference between the two at all. And this is all in the one file.

EDIT: Also random stuff outside brackets, notably waspet before and _exotic after every single instance of [PET_EXOTIC]. Massive amounts of needless bloat and clutter.

EDIT2: "Earthen constructs" being products of necromancy, oh dear lord.

EDIT4: The armoured warklin's description is 124 words long. This is ridiculous.

EDIT4: Brown burrowers are compared in size to halflings. As far as I can see, halflings do not even exist in this mod.
This is all extremely minor, in so far that almost all people will never see it, and even less will care. 

The descriptions are not mine, but are intended by the author to be like this... earthen construct a product of necromancy, why not? And descriptions can be as long as they want. Halflings are general fantasy stereotypes, probably 50% human size. The stuff outside of brackets are still tags, for me to find. waspet is for example to know which creature had a PET token, and has been removed, because I handle this with scripts now... maybe I will undo the change, replacing waspet with PET again. And the formatting has absolutely no affect on either GUI or game. It would be madness to format all files the same way as they are in vanilla DF. Most of the notabbing is intentional anyway, to get as many entries on as many space as possible, which makes copy/pasting easier, and changing single lines in those entries.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 10:20:37 am »

Version 5.05, Gnomes
  • The Smelter (regular, non-magma) uses hotkey a for both "Make anvil from 3 metal bars" and "Make coke(10) from anthracite".
  • Crayfish shells can't be used to make shell armor.
  • Opening a "crate of geological analysis tools" in a Trade Storehouse does not remove the crate.  So the same crate keeps getting opened over and over, resulting in an infinite number of oscilloscopes and pistons.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:49:13 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 03:23:41 pm »

Greycat, thanks. I'll fix it, its on my list.

But I think Sabbycat intended this thread to be a discussion about the things he posted in the first post. Not a general bug report thing... dont worry about it now, but if you got a Gnome bug to report, please post it in the Gnome thread.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 05:12:15 pm »

As near as I can tell the good weather just flat out doesn't work.  I don't think the WEATHER_FALLING_MATERIAL tag works with gaseous things, it leaves piles of "milk and honey vapor" and bad thoughts from freakish weather, but no positive syndromes (and no messages from it raining anything unusual).  If you change it to WEATHER_CREEPING_GAS, it works perfectly and doesn't give the bad weather malus, though it does mean that the cloud needs to pass over you.

(tags are from memory since I'm at work)

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 07:42:46 pm »

....5.03\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/construct-creature.lua:563: attempt to get
length of global 'args' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
        ....5.03\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/construct-creature.lua:563: in main
 chunk
        (...tail calls...)

I've replaced the bit at the bottom of that script with:

Code: [Select]
if args ~= nil and #args>3 then
end

Whether that gets the rest of it going I'm not too sure...

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 09:27:15 pm »

Is there a way to turn off regional weather effects after generation?

Blinding sand shows up in WAY too many biomes. I went to a high rocky wasteland, wasn't expecting to get constant clouds of blinding sand :(

Edit: Nevermind, just edited the raws so that blinding sand doesn't do anything
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:32:09 pm by omniclasm »

Slavmeister

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 01:20:24 am »

Rendermax on with print mode set to Standard, for whatever reason the dwarves themselves generate light and the surface goes through the day/night cycles fine but metals like silver and gold no longer emit light and braziers, as well as the other light fixtures do not create light.
Pages: 1 [2]