Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning Up a Sea of Blood and Modding Grazers Questions  (Read 714 times)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cleaning Up a Sea of Blood and Modding Grazers Questions
« on: June 01, 2014, 10:02:10 pm »

Aside for fixing obvious bugs I tend to try to avoid using any of the DFhack cheat scripts so I am quite the newbie when it comes to this stuff to say the least. To make a long story short I am starting to have FPS problems and the sea of spatters of blood and gore have gotten into the river and aqueduct system and are now multiplying and likely exacerbating the problem.

I plan to use the cleanmap DFhack script to fix the issue and I am just curious if there are any known side effects to using it like there are for some of the other cheat scripts.

While I am here in the modding section I might as well ask this as well. I got tired of all the rhinos starving to death via the well known large grazer bug so I went into the raws and changed the rhino grazing value to 100 which is about the same as some of the largest grazers we have that don't starve. After making the change I still had rhinos starving so I am curious exactly when it is that the raws are read by the game? Are the raws read when the creatures are first generated, at embark, at map generation or something all together different. Basically I am asking when do you need to change the raws for them to go into effect in the game and will future rhino spawns still starve to death?

mattychan

• Bay Watcher
  • Less than dabbling DF Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Up a Sea of Blood and Modding Grazers Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 10:17:19 pm »

well i have used DF Hack for the past two years and i use clean up all the time works fine and does not seem to hurt the game. I think Putnam made the DF Hack so he will know better than me.

as for the rhinos staving, raws are read at the start or creation of a world and you may need to start a new world to have these changes.
If I ask a dumb question, please tell me. So we can bond over it.
Clearly egotistical. Moon Elves Rule!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 10:25:06 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid the rhino fix might be something I couldn't implement on the fly.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 01:19:08 am »

raws are read at the start or creation of a world and you may need to start a new world to have these changes.
That's not true at all... Almost everything in the raws, outside of the entity_default file and a handful of other exceptions, can be changed in-game. You can make all your dwarves suddenly made out of cheese overnight, etc.

Grazing amount almost certainly included. All it is is an influence on the timer for how long until they have to eat grass again. In this case, it probably gets read from the file every single time the timer is reset (i.e. every time they eat a piece of grass).

Not 100% guaranteeing it, but 90% guaranteeing it. Just search the folder for the creatures you want (make sure you change the raw file in the specific save you are changing, not the main raws in the main folder!) and give it a whirl.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:08:42 am »

Grazer values can be changed in a running save.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 03:22:10 pm »

Not 100% guaranteeing it, but 90% guaranteeing it. Just search the folder for the creatures you want (make sure you change the raw file in the specific save you are changing, not the main raws in the main folder!) and give it a whirl.

Thanks that was my mistake right there.

mattychan

• Bay Watcher
  • Less than dabbling DF Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 06:24:42 pm »

Wow sorry, this info will help me a lot. Many apologies for being wrong!
If I ask a dumb question, please tell me. So we can bond over it.
Clearly egotistical. Moon Elves Rule!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 03:25:46 pm »

Wow sorry, this info will help me a lot. Many apologies for being wrong!

After finding I had changed the value in the main raws rather than the save I remedied the mistake and figured the problem was solved but I was wrong. Rhinos take a long time to starve so I figured I was in the clear after I had fully trained them and put them out to pasture for a good while but then sure enough they all starved to death so you may have been correct all along.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that either I can't fix this on the fly and it will only affect future games or these rhinos I caught had actually spawned on the map before I altered the raws and it is when they spawn that the raws are checked rather than while they graze.

If I get another group of rhinos to spawn I will report back. They are somewhat rare on this embark and I've been getting nothing but various insect men and dingos for a while now along with those accursed white storks that flap around uselessly.