Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You know that thing that's a bit like a, and kind of, and it goes?  (Read 953 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile

This thread is for attempting to determine what things you don't know the name of are called. There won't be any rules/posting format, so just feel free to post questions and answers whenever.

To start things off, what are those wristbands that you slap on your wrist and/or any relatively wrist-sized object and they coil around it called?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: You know that thing that's a bit like a, and kind of, and it goes?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 01:35:18 am »

Now I know I have to be clairvoyant (another word for psychic, if anyone's asking ahead of time) to some degree. I was thinking this up some time ago (like same-day); a Reverse Term Search. Kinda like how Reverse Image Searching works, with submitting an image, and getting it's variants from size to subtle changes and qualities. Well, instead of submitting an image worth a thousand words, you submit the thousands of words to find a particular word. It's similar in function to RISing (but with words and maybe regular expressions if you're brave), and the Tip of My Tongue word search engine; and end result could be a Thesaurus or something (scratching off words you already used on suggestions lists, since it would be pointless to repeat what you already know), if it doesn't find an exact match; if it does find an exact match, then off to the dictionary you go; especially for confirmation that it found what you were implying.

I didn't take the time to see if it exists already or not. Found it rather funny this came up out of the blue.

EDIT:
And as far as I can figure, no, I don't think it can used/abused for Scrabble or Boggle; although Tip of My Tongue can be (seeing it has an unscramble function, and letter limits, while also being a dictionary search). Nevermind, apply same functions and it could be.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:54:22 am by Itnetlolor »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 03:48:15 am »

Tip of My Tongue word search engine
Woah, that thing's awesome.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 07:03:08 am »

That thing you use at the supermarket checkout to demarcate the line between your stuff and the other guys' stuff. I've heard 'Kassentoblerone' (checkout toblerone) but they come in square versions, too...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 07:13:18 am »

That thing you use at the supermarket checkout to demarcate the line between your stuff and the other guys' stuff. I've heard 'Kassentoblerone' (checkout toblerone) but they come in square versions, too...
Warentrenner.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 11:25:15 am »

Wow, I had never given those things enough of a thought to even consider that they had a specific name.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 11:35:55 am »

Warentrenner.
Lol. Beurtbalkje in Dutch. Never heard that term in my life/

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 01:59:54 pm »

Warentrenner.
The links on that article... There must be a very bored supermarket clerk with a wikipedia account out there.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.