Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wizards and Monks: To foil the necromancers  (Read 989 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wizards and Monks: To foil the necromancers
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:07:07 pm »

At the moment I find that the necromancers are quite out of control.  They spread like a virus, taking over whole continents, fighting endless wars with other necromancer towers over the unfortunate human slaves in nearby settlements.  The result of all this is that the write an infernal number of books, such that the game crashes when one tries to use to search function. 

I propose we add two extra sites to the game that are loosely modelled on the necromancers and recruit/function similarly, also writing their own books.  These would be Monks and Wizards, with the Monastery and the Academy as their sites.

I additionally propose that we reduce the rate of book writing to like a 5th of the present amount. 

Monks
Monks are devoted to a particular god.  Unless that god is a god of death, they hate necromancers violently spending a lot of time attacking towers if they are in the area.  They are recruited from among the worshippers of that god, which binds them closely to the fate of a particular civilization especially since they are mortal.  As a result they should enjoy generally peaceful relations with that civilization, but not with 'heathens'. 

In between anti-necromancy crusades monks like necromancers write books.  These books tend to be religious books devoted to the particular god they worship and it's ideals. 

Wizards
Wizards are intellectuals.  They are recruited widely from among the intellecutally inclined of all races, having masters and apprentices as well.  Wizards write books at twice the race of both monks and necromancers, also they can write books of all topics including necromancy and religion.  Their ease of accessing necromatic and religious books, tends to make them a gateway that feeds the proliferation of both monks AND necromancers in the area, thus their historical purpose is as a catalyst.  Wizards themselves however are generally pacifistic, avoiding interacting violent interactions with the rest of the world but they do have an array of various powerful exotic creatures at their disposable if attacked.  Monks and Necromancers both will attack wizards if they cannot find eachother because they both seek to monopolise knowledge in the area. 

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Wizards and Monks: To foil the necromancers
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 03:53:25 pm »

There's a lot of things planned already to balance out the different factions(including adding new ones). Toady just hasn't had the time to implement them yet.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 03:55:00 pm »

Ehhh, I don't really see why this is necessary. The necromancer explosion is a bug more than anything, and necromancers themselves are more or less a placeholder until Toady decides to add real magic fifty years from now. But having more placeholder magical entities to play with would be nice.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:55:28 pm »

Ehhh, I don't really see why this is necessary. The necromancer explosion is a bug more than anything, and necromancers themselves are more or less a placeholder until Toady decides to add real magic fifty years from now. But having more placeholder magical entities to play with would be nice.

You do not think it necessary to discuss the development of different forms of magic and magic-user into the game?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:32:12 pm »

When magic is eventually added, it'll more likely be in the form of randomly generated magical entities with random powers and abilities. I doubt it'll be called a monk or a Necromancer. It'll be a "death shaman of Armok" or whatever. Adding more static magical being like Necromancers seems kinda odd without a proper magical system in place, or one that is actively planned for the near future.

Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 05:29:53 pm »

When magic is eventually added, it'll more likely be in the form of randomly generated magical entities with random powers and abilities. I doubt it'll be called a monk or a Necromancer. It'll be a "death shaman of Armok" or whatever. Adding more static magical being like Necromancers seems kinda odd without a proper magical system in place, or one that is actively planned for the near future.
Yeah, that is the likely and ideal end result I see.  What steps do you think Toady should take to go from individual secrets and static magical beings (i.e. Necromancer, vampire, were creature) to a more generalized magic system?  I think if Toady incrementally adds more secret goals, types, and interactions and then also incrementally adds ways of secrets and interactions to combine and form a frame work, he could get a really innovative procedural magic system.  I.e., the necromancer decides to study vampires and invents a curse that creates vampire, the Wizard studies a necromancer's book and invents a spell that duplicates the necromancer's power, the monk studies necromancers and invents an interaction that takes away necromancer's powers or kills undead. 
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.