- 1 (1.9%)
Vikings
- 6 (11.3%)
Zulu
- 2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: September 24, 2015, 07:04:20 am

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bay 12 Civ III Succession Game (NP: Persia, 150 AD)  (Read 4096 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Civ III Succession Game (NP: Persia, 730 BC)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 10:10:50 am »

Quo usque tandem abutere, Cicero, nostra patientia?

(I'm giving him twenty-four hours to respond, otherwise, Sheb/Helgo will be up.)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 01:05:24 am »

OK, no reply from Cicero, so...

Wait...shit...I may have lost the save, hang on...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 06:27:23 am »

I guess you could always re-play your turn.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 07:27:19 am »

Yeah, that's what I'll probably have to end up doing. I'll get the save to you some time today-I have a bad cold and am staying in.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 02:43:52 pm »

OK, Sheb's up next, and I had to replay my turn. It went basically the same way, except that we did get to Philosophy first, which led to Polytheism for free, and a round of tech trading. There are also some yellow-bordered neighbors to the northwest of us. The iron is in the same place, but I have no settler going after it yet, though I do have one going after the dyes. We're researching Monarchy, and I'd suggest we switch into it before we start a war. (I'd go after the Zulu, for the stated reasons).

The situation at hand-off:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 04:29:53 pm »

The Shebrxes dynasty was characterized by a string of child-king, getting to the throne young and dying barely older, governing with no wisdom or experience. Yet, the Empire somehow survived, the vast bureaucracy having simply too much inertia to keel over.

In 610 BC, the Persians managed to let the Aztec beat them at the pyramid. King Shebrxes, to save face, announced the Persians had all along be building a Temple of Artemis, that just so happened to be pyramid-shaped.

Also, more iron is found, as well as a moutain called "the moutain of stink" by the locals.g

590 BC was a great year for Persia. After some frantic double checking to make sure that we were really building the Temple of Artemis and not the Mausoleum, our glorious archers committed the first act of genocide of our history, murdering every Khoisan man and selling their women as concubines in Persepolis, netting us much gold.

In 570 BC, another minor genocide cause widespread riots in Samaria, caused by the loss of the monopoly on the harem slave trade. A decision was taken to hasten the integration of Smaria into the Imperial road network to calm them.

550 BC: Strike the dye!

530 BC: Our Curragh discover a new continent!*

Also, the Zulu decide to be dicks with their Settlers. I totally support wars with the Zulus, as soon as we have irons and Monarchy.

510 BC: Apparently Brennus settled North-East of Samaria. We are being contained!

430 BC: We finally build a city next to the iron. We are one short road away from getting it!

410 BC: A road connection is established with the Celts. Now, if they finally sort their road issue, we might trade!**

370 BC: We have iron. A lot of our cities are ordered to churn out Immortals, Death to the Zulus!

*Note from the Historian: This was just one more tiny island. The worse part of a 8-year old King is the constant excitement.

** Aparently Celts sucks at roadbuilding.

Save

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Civ III Succession Game (NP: Persia, 370 BC)
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 08:16:02 pm »

I hate myself. I should've simply told them to buzz off - I could've stayed on my estate, supervising the agricultural works, relaxing in my harem, maybe reading a good scroll or two every month... But they told me they needed me: An eight-year-old can hardly be expected to be a competent ruler, so they needed a Grand Wezir to cope with day-to-day business. And, admittedly, I was the right guy for the job. But I hadn't expected to do so much babysitting the king - don't we have concubines to do that? Okay, he may be too young - or too old, really - to shut him up simply by shoving a tit in his face, but keeping him occupied is hardly a job for a bureaucrat like me. I'll have to find someone to help me with this task... Reorganizing the empire will be hard enough as-is.

I have to admit: The kid had spunk. Our people are barely scraping by, and he starts levying an army the likes of which the world has never seen before - I like it! Of course we'll need a bit more infrastructure than a couple mud huts if we want a mighty army instead of a ragtag band of warriors. There's weapons to be produced, drills to be conducted, weapons training, morale building... I decided to postpone the levying of troops in favor of the construction of barracks in most cities of the south-eastern cluster. This way our God-King's Guard will be aided in combat by weaponry and training in addition to the fierce loyalty and divine favor they already enjoy. This way they shall truly become Immortals: One may fall, but another is already there to take his place. One may be destroyed, but the unit survives.

In the west I ordered the settlement of the desert peninsula, along with the creation of a channel allowing the passage of ships. To facilitate further exploration the construction of a galley was ordered as well.

A God-King must be recognized as such, and the bureaucracy of our empire must become a precise tool to execute his will! That is, his will as interpreted by His most humble Grand Wezir. I ordered a series of purges: Local officials who resist the wind of change must be cleansed away to make way for more loyal replacements. Old privileges must be revoked to aid the greater good of the Empire. The old narrowmindedness must be swept away to clear the path for our ascent.
Such actions do not go without resistance, of course - for several years there was almost no production as the bureaucracy was rearranged. There were occasional flareups of violence in some cities, but our God-King's Guard made quick work of those who resisted His will.

In the south I continued the settlement of the icy regions, securing a second source of iron as well as copious supplies of incense. Having surplus iron to trade with may very well prove vital in the future to secure the support of neighboring peoples in war and commerce.

Our neighbors to the north turned out to be very interested in our new style of governance. A great exchange of knowledge - and gold - was arranged. The Persian mind and culture have started to assert their superiority! In order to safeguard this knowledge we developed a sophisticated scroll storage system, involving the decentralized housing of multiple copies of all of our Empire's writings. This way each city will contribute to the development of our collective body of wisdom, and the draw of our culture will ensure the cooperation of the more barbarian areas which lie further away from our city centers.

To the west one of our ships made contact with the Roman people - they have few cities, but several interesting luxuries which would surely help in keeping our citizenry content. Interestingly they also lack iron - we could either trade with them after establishing a sea route, or we could earmark them for future conquest at the hands of our God-King's Immortals.

Alas, I feel my strength waning, my bones grow cold, my eyesight is failing - it is time for me to step down and let my successor reap what I have sown. A new age is coming, and coming fast: The old worship of idols and spirits has been thrown out, replaced by what our priests call monotheism, the worship of the Divine Undivided as manifested in our King, Its will carried out by His Immorals. As I draw my last breath and prepare to enter the beyond, our fast growing army carries out maneuvers near the Zulu borders. I may not enjoy the privilege of seeing their blades draw blood, their formations crushing our enemies - but as I go into the dark, my soul is at peace knowing our Empire is ready for what is to come.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Civ III Succession Game (NP: Persia, 370 BC)
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 01:52:21 am »

Got the save, should be able to tackle it this evening.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Civ III Succession Game (NP: Persia, 150 AD)
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 05:26:51 pm »

slo drunk right now

so let's tackel the save shal we

The postion at 150 ad

Notice we have a budget deficit but w/ 305 gold it isn't all tha tserious

goddamit helog why did you build the hanging garden

I meanu it's surely useful but pyramids? oh right English buit that

170 BC: we hurry Hamadan's library. soon declare ware on Zulu

\190 AD: we demand Zulu remove forces from PErsia, they accept

230 AD?: note to others: don't buid liberrarhys unless a) your city is making 6 science per turn orb b) ther eis a recource you really want within two tiles. turnes some science builds in the south to immortals.

soon the Zulu war will begin

also met the Aztecs. they have no technology of interest to us and little gold, but a fair amount of cities

250 AD: we meet the Mongols. they have only two cities besides their capital and no techs (haven't even got alphabet), so we may as well take them over in future. i've assigned that galley to the city on the peninsula with teh cow for this purpose

260 AD: We declare war on the Zulu, fuckit. We also enter a Golden age. PEtsepolis switches to the Great Library in anicipation of future wonders

interturn, the Zulu capture Jinjan. woops

270 AD: We capture Bapedi. Can Zimbabwe be ffar behind?

OInterturn: Tyre is captured. w h o o p s

this also cuts off our iron supply so duble woops

300 AD: We retake Jinjan and get iron back.

320 AD: We contact the Ottomans. they have no tradeable techs.

330 AD: we meet the English, they are fairly large but have no tradeable techs.  and the Japanese who are REALLY behind

340 AD: We've captured all the Zulu cities in the southeast, plus their capitol.

and at 350 ad I hand off:

save will be given in facebook chat

Pages: 1 [2]