Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves refusing to recover wounded  (Read 851 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves refusing to recover wounded
« on: May 30, 2014, 05:46:44 pm »

One of my swordsdwarves lost a hand in a struggle with a cave croc, now he's just lying in the food stockpile "Too injured" to do anything and noone will take him to the hospital, any advice?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves refusing to recover wounded
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 05:51:00 pm »

there are many many reasons this kind of thing can go wrong;
first off are other dwarves restrained by a burrow/alert?
Are they all busy with other jobs?
Are they being scared off by the cave croc or anything else still alive?
also if the job gets interrupted ONCE it can be a very long time before it gets queued again.
(also I'm assuming you have a hospital?)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:53:34 pm »

I have no burrows, there are plenty of idling dwarves around and yes I have a fully stocked hospital.

Now the dwarf is slowly limping around, he has no treatments scheduled or anything but he still wont go to the hospital :/

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 06:00:45 pm »

Okay he apparently wasnt injured enough to warrant a hospital visit, his -Bleeding- tag went away and he seems to be doing fine now, strange, guess losing a hand wasnt dire enough to cause a bleed out?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 07:14:54 pm »

Recover wounded occurs after a dwarf collapses from injuries (which shows up as a "Rest" job).  I'm not sure if that's a 100% requirement for recovery, or if there could be other conditions.  However, on many occasions I have seen military dwarves with serious injuries fail to go into a proper "Rest" state, and therefore they were never recovered.  It's a pretty common thing (bug, glitch, feature, I don't know).

Sometimes, giving the military dwarf's squad a move order, waiting a bit, and cancelling it will get the dwarf to Rest and be recovered.  Not always.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 09:06:52 pm »

Okay he apparently wasnt injured enough to warrant a hospital visit, his -Bleeding- tag went away and he seems to be doing fine now, strange, guess losing a hand wasnt dire enough to cause a bleed out?
I believe that hand removal sometimes doesn't count as an injury because for an injury to be treated a part needs to be damaged, when a hand is cut off, there is no damaged part per-se, one part is simply gone, and the rest is intact. Once the bleeding stops, the dwarf gets back to his duties. This doesn't work for foot/leg removal because the dwarf needs to be issued a crutch to get on the move again.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 09:08:36 pm by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 07:23:48 pm »

Losing an arm or any part of an arm does not warrant a hospital visit currently in DF, as there is nothing that can be done to the affected area, considering it is gone.  They currently do not suture the wound, so yeah, as long as they don't starve or die of thirst, they'll start to walk around again.  Now, if they have another wound that isn't a missing limb, they'll be brought in.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.