Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another "Dwarves aren't equipping armor" problem thread...  (Read 1338 times)

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another "Dwarves aren't equipping armor" problem thread...
« on: June 04, 2014, 11:08:46 pm »

I have a squad of 6 dwarves. They should be wearing their spiffy steel armor. They are not. I did change "over clothing" to "replace clothing".

Here's the strange thing. When I try to assign specific pants, it does not bring up a list of any pants to assign, as if I had no free pants at all. But, when I checke stocks, I have 6 unused pairs of greaves. Why are my dwarves running around mostly naked when there is armor to be had?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Another "Dwarves aren't equipping armor" problem thread...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 11:21:41 pm »

Might want to double check where those unused pieces of armour are.

Any items being hauled around are not available for use, and bins are known to cause issues at times.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 11:44:24 pm »

I swear I made 6 full sets of steel armor. chain mail shirts, breastplates, helms, greaves, high boots, gauntlets, everything. Most of it is no longer showing in my stocks menu. this makes no sense, where could my armor have disappeared to?

Edit: the 6 steel greaves I know for sure I had? not in the stocks list at all anymore.

Edit: I have two steel highboots sitting in a stockpile, no bins or other containers. One dwarf is wearing theirs, two are not.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:47:24 pm by Echostatic »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:00:17 am »

By chance do you have Keas or other thieving critters running about?

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 12:05:22 am »

I have not seen any since starting on this map. I reverted to an earlier save, and noticed under each of the 6 soldier's equipment screens their assigned weapon and "missing item" whatever that means. I am going to try crafting the armor again... So far, it seems to be working alright.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 04:07:07 am »

They don't immediately put on their equipment. What are they wearing now? If they are not wearing anything, they have decided to put on their armor, and should be equipped soon. You might want them to idle for a while. Dwarves usually forget to put on equipment when they are busy.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 04:25:41 am »

Could other dwarves have picked it up to wear to replace their old clothes? Or is armor special in that they won't wear it unless told to?

Also, it's way easier to tell them to wear greaves, then specify material, than to tell them to wear a specific pair. Maybe it's just my fort, but I've had guys get mad because their metal armor was old (yes, it had the x tags around it, and was the only old piece of clothes they were wearing that could've caused their mood). I just recently discovered that you can manage things that way, so it's nice to know in case you don't realize it.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 08:02:46 am »

Could other dwarves have picked it up to wear to replace their old clothes? Or is armor special in that they won't wear it unless told to?

Civilians will never select armor to replace worn-out personal clothing.  This includes boots, which are considered armor.  They'll only wear armor if you draft them into a military squad and give them a uniform which includes armor.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz