Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Young and adults behaving differently (e.g. Sponges)  (Read 560 times)

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Young and adults behaving differently (e.g. Sponges)
« on: May 27, 2014, 04:51:22 pm »

I was reading up on giant sponges and happened upon a thread about them where someone suggested making a fortress guarded by breeding, giant sponges. However, one notable issue was their lack of mobility.

In nature, several species have young that are mobile that become immobile upon adulthood. Since child and baby tags already exist, would it be possible to have different characteristics of that sort? E.g. giant sponges that breed mobile young that become immobile upon adulthood? This could apply to other immobile creatures as well.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: Young and adults behaving differently (e.g. Sponges)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 05:28:40 pm »

Seems like a reasonable future goal; maybe eventually creatures' adult and child forms could be defined more like castes. For now, if you'd like to do this for your own creatures, I think there's a workaround: try having two different creatures, adult and child versions of the same thing, the former of which never spawns naturally and the latter of which imparts to itself a syndrome that transforms it into its adult version after several years. That will have essentially the same effects, except maybe unintentional limb regeneration upon reaching adulthood.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:40:45 pm »

which imparts to itself a syndrome
how?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:22:11 am »

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:TWO_YEAR_SPONGE_TRANSFORM]
    [I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
        [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
        [IT_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
        [IT_MANUAL_INPUT:unit]
    [I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
        [IE_TARGET:A]
        [IE_IMMEDIATE]
        [SYNDROME]
            [CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:806400]