Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: more specifics on the hollow shaft to hell.  (Read 1734 times)

potzertommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
more specifics on the hollow shaft to hell.
« on: May 30, 2014, 11:48:58 am »

Does the shaft go all the way to the top of the raw adamantine vein, or is there an adamantine "cap" on it. I just mined out an entire Z-level of a vertical vein of adamantine without opening a shaft up.  Is that a guarantee that the level below it is also entirely shaft-free?

I read on the wiki that the shaft is 2x2 and surrounded on all sides, orthoganally and diagonally by raw adamantine, i just don't know if the shaft ever stops part of the way up the vein.  I just started this fortress and i really like my map, so, at least for the moment, I am avoiding Fun at all costs.

AwesomenessDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: more specifics on the hollow shaft to hell.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 12:03:50 pm »

Does the shaft go all the way to the top of the raw adamantine vein, or is there an adamantine "cap" on it. I just mined out an entire Z-level of a vertical vein of adamantine without opening a shaft up.  Is that a guarantee that the level below it is also entirely shaft-free?

I read on the wiki that the shaft is 2x2 and surrounded on all sides, orthoganally and diagonally by raw adamantine, i just don't know if the shaft ever stops part of the way up the vein.  I just started this fortress and i really like my map, so, at least for the moment, I am avoiding Fun at all costs.
Where ever the actual "Gate to hell" is, is a 2x2 column of empty space. It extends any amount of height (usually not more that 15-20 Z levels from the top of hell, but it has been know to glitch (see Adamantine Elevator to Heaven)) and is normally surrounded on all sides but the bottom by adamantine. How ever many Z levels between the top of the Adamantine and the "shaft" part varies from shaft to shaft. It could be none (I think that's a glitch because that means as soon as you see the pillar on screen, Fun is on its way) or it could be all but one Z level. Just don't dig too deep. I would recommend building a single stairway down outside of the vein first and excavating all around the vein before you do a Z level.
Goblin: General? We were told by the Dark lord to kill the dwarves, so why are we throwing socks in the pond instead of attacking them?
Goblin General: HehehehehehehehehahahHAHAHAHAHA
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 02:17:52 pm »

Fully revealing a level of a shaft will guarantee the levels ABOVE it are safe, but the levels below it could still be dangerous.  I have frequently seen 2x2 shafts that stop part way up an adamantine spire.  I think that they are always capped by at least one level of safe spire, but I don't risk it -- just in case.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

potzertommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 09:25:35 am »

thanks! i will take care.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 12:28:11 pm »

Any level of the spire that's less or equal to than 3x3 *cannot* house the shaft, because the shaft is 2x2 and obviously doesn't start revealed. On larger levels, one kind of cheaty tactic you can use if you're really hurting for candy and don't want to snub your nose at the law of conservation of matter is to smooth the stone and then carve fortifications: it'll reveal the shaft if it's behind the fortification. Of course, the problem (besides it being kind of cheap, but your kilometerage may vary on that) with this is that your FPS will be shot due to clowns trying and failing to path into your fort honking their noses and pantomiming hideous yet hilarious rituals every tick.