Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Illyriad: King Sigurd's Tournament of Killing Things (Browser-based MMORTS)  (Read 934 times)

GirlscoutBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Concerning the browser based MMORTS Illyriad (a long term game for the more patient sort of blood thirsty dorfs):

To quell rumors that he is an immortal creature of the night, King Sigurd has decreed that we must suddenly and unexpectedly celebrate what he calls his '25th year of reign' by gleefully slaughtering each other in a glorious tournament. The winner of this tournament will receive his very own undead Dragon... thing.

The tournament lasts a good long month (26th of April -> 24th of May), and as such there is ample time for any newcomers to join the already established group from bay12, Slaves to Armok, for some good fun. Upon recruitment, http://illyriad.com/?104473, you'll receive plenty of cheap spears and beer to join the fight. And as soon as you are out of your initial protection will be welcomed to move to our harpy-infested homelands, where the tournament killings have already started.

Skulls for the skull throne!
Blood for the blood god!

(If you do get into the game and don't know where you are, message TomBombadil about killing things)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

speaking of which...I need to enter the alliance...

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So if I was going to join you guys. What's the race that you would recommend?

GirlscoutBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@dennislp3: I sent an invite to etgfrog, if that is you? Otherwise just mail me in-game for an invite to the alliance. You'll need to research 'Negotiation' in the diplomacy tab, http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Research/Tree/3, before you can accept the invite. Already send a starting caravan with supplies.

@choppy: I'd say pick whichever race your first instinct tells you, as you can always pick a different race with your 2nd account (yes, each player is allowed max 2 accounts).

The only real difference between the races is their troops:
with Dwarves having the the best swordsmen by far (but also the slowest),
Humans having the best cavalry (Knights being the single most powerful attacking unit in the game),
Orcs having the cheapest, best, and fastest to train spear-men,
and Elves obviously having the best archers.

The main consideration for which troop type you'll use is terrain type. So you'll almost always have a good mix of units regardless of your racial strengths... unless you are an Orc, in which case hordes of kobold spear-men is the best answer for anything.. or and Elf, whose archers are so cheap and good you won't mind even fighting with them even in the ocean (these two are my obvious favorites, but dwarves are very well suited for fighting in our homelands as well).

@Update on the Tourney:
We are currently in 5th place overall, and holding steady.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile

@dennislp3: I sent an invite to etgfrog, if that is you?
It would be awkward if it was :P
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

indeed lol I am Crimson Bolt in game

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile

Been looking for another good browser game for awhile, this looks neat. In game as TwilightWalker

GirlscoutBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Invites sent!

If the Alliance Chat doesn't pop up when you join just refresh the page.

I also sent resources everywhere. Don't worry about gold and weapons for your troops, I've been piling up ;P

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile

Just a warning to newbies, I successfully wasted about a month or prep on the free city relocation, because there's no confirmation WHICH relocation you're about to use (i.e. I wasted the free port on my secondary city and ruined all of my month of planning in about 10 seconds). Then I ragequit... so don't be me, kids.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used to have an account for Illyriad a long time ago, probably been deleted by now anyway.

Edit: Yes, yes it was. Made a new account with the name "Isdar II".
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:59:45 pm by Isdar »

GirlscoutBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Isdar:
Welcome back, great to have you again!

@Darkmere:
Yeah, I remember that! :O. That's one of the reasons I advise new players to just teleport immediately to a 5-food square near the homelands, and then later if needed create new 7-food spots with a 2nd account. Otherwise it slows down your growth too much early on and is waaay too easy to mess up!

@Tourney Update:
We are currently in 3rd place overall.. but it is still a long way to go!

Escudodeteixo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

It was a fun tournament.

Next one we should go for the unofficial record of most casualties in one tile. Armok demands it.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

Got back into this recently. A alliance would be nice I guess. Username is Crawling Chaos. Building up my warehouse for some exodusing.