Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Science ~ Adamantine  (Read 1406 times)

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
Science ~ Adamantine
« on: May 16, 2014, 10:55:39 pm »

Kreydursts Research Tablet on Adamantine

So, it seems that the melting point of Adamantine is 25000 degrees Urst. Which compared to normal stone/building material, it's melting point is way above normal boiling points.

Another thing is that the boiling point of coke producing stones is ~16000 degrees Urst. Assuming that the coke/charcoal burns at that boiling point, (0 leftovers [of coke/charcoal] due to assumed Dwarven smelting/forging 100 Urst-cent efficiency) until it inevitably evaporates. Only smelters/forges made of dolomite can contain the raw power of explosively stupidly passive, non face-melting efficient coke/charcoal.

And let us not even get into the properties of Adamantine as an armor/weapon in general. (I.E. Blunt/shear strength and whatnot) as it is absolute bullshit makes even less sense how a single Urst can pull off strands of Adamantine from a craftsdwarfs workshop, without some kind of specialized equipment.

And through the process of stranding the Adamantine it somehow reduces the melting point of Adamantine just enough to make wafers? Which then can be turned into armor and weapons!? Impossible I say!

Our Dwarven workers must be hiding specialized tools from us, the things I list above might make sense to a few fellow overseers. So I will now begin listing the specialized tools I believe our minions workers hide form us.

• Plasma torch Small dragon on a stick
  • Because of dragonfire being the ONLY natural heat source that can melt Adamantine, I have deduced that somewhere, somehow, hidden from our sights is a simple, yet innovative tool created behind our backs to properly melt the Adamantine strands into Adamantine wafers. I have deduced that this hidden tool, which is distributed to every Urst through some divine method (Likely Armok's doing,) is the only reason we can work the wondrous metal.
  • Ingenious in it's design, an adult dragon must have been killed to take it's scales and create leather straps. Which then hold in place a young (Baby practically) dragon, tied to a nether cap pole.
  • After a the tool used to create strands of Adamantine are used, the dragon on a stick is punched repeatedly until it's fire gathers. Which at that point, the stick will be pointed at the Adamantine strands settled in a magma-safe stone mold (for wafers.) Under normal dragonfire circumstances, a magma-safe stone mold would easily boil away in seconds, but due to the limited supply of the dragons breath, and the focusing array of the smelter and forges (Described in bullet point 2) the Adamantine receives 99 Urst-cent of the heat.
  • The same process (Meaning Adamantine being melted into molds) is used to create all things from Adamantine, I.E. Armor, weapons, furniture, and coins. During the life-inhibiting facemelting cooling phase of the Adamantine ~15000 <-> 24999 degrees Urst is when the quality of the hammering factors in.
  • Funnel Focusing Array
  • As with the previous special tool mentioned, this is another thing I theorize that is hidden from our view at all times. But this tool is odd in that it must be shaped like a cylinder (With a closing mechanism to prevent face destroying fire from blowing back through) made entirely of dragon leather, and dragon bone mechanisms / knobs (Or tower caps, that's another possibility) to allow the closing of one end of the tube. Which, as it's name states, it aids in focusing the dragons fire onto the Adamantine strands/wafers.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Science ~ Adamantine
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 03:32:00 pm »

There is a realistic (DF realistic) method of adamantine procesing here. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109582.0
It's... rather graphic.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 09:16:49 pm »

There is a realistic (DF realistic) method of adamantine procesing here. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109582.0
It's... rather graphic.

I did this on a whim, but I'll check it out.

(Sorry for not posting about insanity train, lost motivation after it corrupted :( )

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 06:35:29 am »

Dragons make everything better.