Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giving humans (and elves for that matter) varied hairstyles?  (Read 810 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This may be a bit of a nitpick, particularly because humans and elves don't appear that much in fort mode except as merchants, but I've noticed that, for whatever reason, nondwarf sentient creatures will always be described as having "extremely long hair" and no mention of facial hair, in contrast to the suitably diverse array of hairstyles found on dwarves. I'm not particularly versed in DF modding, but I recall hearing this is a result of non-dwarves not having the correct tags in their raws to have randomly selected hair. Would I just be able to copy-paste the relevant tags over to humans and elves (and goblins and kobolds now that I think of it), and would there be any way to make "clean shaven" a valid option for non-dwarves facial hair?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Giving humans (and elves for that matter) varied hairstyles?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:31:43 am »

You'll want the entity_default.txt file. Roughly at the end of ENTITY:MOUNTAIN, you'll find this set of tokens:

Code: [Select]
[TISSUE_STYLE:HAIR]
[TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:STANDARD_HAIR_SHAPINGS]
[TISSUE_STYLE:SIDEBURNS]
[TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:STANDARD_SIDEBURNS_SHAPINGS]
[TISSUE_STYLE:MOUSTACHE]
[TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH:100:NONE]
[TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:STANDARD_MOUSTACHE_SHAPINGS]
[TISSUE_STYLE:BEARD]
[TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH:100:NONE]
[TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:STANDARD_BEARD_SHAPINGS]

Copy it to the end of ENTITY:PLAINS and ENTITY:FOREST to give humans and elves the same range of hair styles. That automatically includes the clean-shaven style.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 02:01:44 pm »

Thanks.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 08:16:19 pm »

So I've made a discovery of sorts; from the looks of things, adding hair tags to humans and elves and so on will only affect historical figures; generated peasants will still all be described as having "extremely long hair", and will not have facial hair stylings if male. I wonder why that occurs.
It was inevitable.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 11:29:14 am »

Yeah, that's a known bug, I probably should have mentioned it.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu