Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Free-to-play 4X games?  (Read 4423 times)

Melanthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Free-to-play 4X games?
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:59:31 am »

I want a free-to-play 4X game.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free-to-play 4X games?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 11:21:51 am »

Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow is pretty good if you like space.

Did you check the free games list sticky at the top of this subforum? There might be something in there.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 06:48:44 pm »

There's FreeOrion, but that's still in development. Are MoO, MoO2, or Master of Magic free for download (yet)? Those are good 4x games that are inferior to more modern games in graphics only.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 07:28:49 pm »

MoM crashes all the time (but was pretty good if it didn't, so maybe there's a user-made patch to fix it now, who knows), and MoO2's AI is not good enough to handle the game's complexity, so you have to play on Impossible to have a real challenge once you're good at the game (and then it's only challenging because it cheats like hell, not because it knows how to counter what you're doing or play well).

I don't recall MoM crashing anywhere near as much in actual DOS as it seems to do in DOSBox.

Also, none of them are free, but they are on GoG for fairly cheap.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:30:50 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 07:33:26 pm »

Aurora 4x is a good space one, if you're into the complexity, and Freeciv is a decent Civilization 2/3 clone.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 07:39:10 pm »

Aurora and Freeciv are good games to play if you want to learn how not to make UIs for games.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:00:45 pm »

There's a free games list as a stickied topic, there might be something in there worth looking at.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 03:58:05 pm »

There's FreeOrion, but that's still in development. Are MoO, MoO2, or Master of Magic free for download (yet)? Those are good 4x games that are inferior to more modern games in graphics only.

I thought FreeOrion was dead? Also it's probably already mentioned but Aurora's good if you can get past the complexity and obtuseness of the UI. It's basically Dwarf Fortress in space.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 04:26:15 pm »

I looked in on FreeOrion a few months* ago, and it has advanced through several milestones over the 10+ years since I had last checked, but still didn't appear to be an actual game.

* may have been more than a year, I have no idea.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 09:07:35 pm »

From the little time I've played it, FreeOrion appeared to play decently well, but it still took a long time between turns in the later game when everything is visible.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:48:40 am »

Does Aurora have a wiki anywhere? I'm a sucker for complexity.

I used to play FreeOrion, but it's not complex enough for me :)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 07:37:15 am »

My problem with Freeorion was the interface, easy to get lost with it, funny on how i had less problem with DF own interface.

I wish they would have been inspired more by MoO1 and MoO2 instead of MoO3 for making Freeorion, the 2 original MoO were so great in so many ways i still play with both from time to time, while MoO3 was nowhere near to being half as great.

The 1st MoO1 is still impressive today in how the AI can deliver a challenge without cheating.

Now for good free 4X , there's Open IG , a java open source remake of the 1st Imperium Galactica.
https://github.com/akarnokd/open-ig
There was a trailer for it a few years back and improvements still continue even now (there was a new release a day ago)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnlIEwW2OkM

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 12:06:27 pm »

Does Aurora have a wiki anywhere? I'm a sucker for complexity.

I used to play FreeOrion, but it's not complex enough for me :)

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Can't speak for how up to date it is, most of the game I learned by Osmosis. There's also an eleven hundred page thread for it on this very forum.