Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mac Memory Bullshit  (Read 1607 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Mac Memory Bullshit
« on: May 18, 2014, 01:08:45 am »

I have a Mac. I'm running 10.6.8. I'm trying to download an update, but whenever I try it tells me I need 2GB of free memory. I have 164GB free. What the fuck.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mac Memory Bullshit
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 01:10:39 am »

I doubt it's talking about RAM but just in case, I'd check.

Also, try clearing free space on your drive.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 01:19:22 am »

I doubt it's talking about RAM but just in case, I'd check.

Also, try clearing free space on your drive.
After some fervent googling I've found I need more RAM. I only have 1GB. Guess that's not happening. *reaches for hammer*

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 02:13:18 am »

I usually don't greentext on here but...
>buying a mac

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:29:41 am »

People still use macs? I thought only hipsters did, and I'm pretty certain they're not even fully human.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 03:42:21 am »

Less rudely, if you only have one gig of ram it's probably time to get a new computer. Or buy more ram, if you can even open up a mac.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 04:02:31 am »

Can't you allocate some swap memory? It's basically hard drive space which can take the overflow when you run out of regular RAM. I'm not sure how you would do that on a mac though.

Edit: Apparently it's supposed to adjust automatically. I have no idea why it wouldn't work for this update. You can see the amount of swap memory and how much is being used by entering "sysctl vm.swapusage" into the terminal.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 04:16:56 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 04:16:55 am »

Yeah, you're going to want more than two gigs of ram around now. If it's a laptop, it'd be time for a new laptop, as these updates tend to have security patches that are gonna keep your OS secure. If it's a computer, look up your motherboard and see if you can stick larger sticks on that. Or more sticks. Swap memory might helpa bit I guess, but it's much slower than RAM, especially if you're not using a flash drive for it. Presumable the update required 2 gigs because it'd add new background processes that'll end up choking your performance if you don't have at least 2 gigs of free RAM. Best of luck.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 10:48:27 am »

I usually don't greentext on here but...
>buying a mac
People still use macs? I thought only hipsters did, and I'm pretty certain they're not even fully human.
Fuck right off. I hate this piece of shit but I have to make it work if I want to get online at all. Some moron I know bought it way back in 2008 and I inherited it (he bought another Mac >.>).

Less rudely, if you only have one gig of ram it's probably time to get a new computer. Or buy more ram, if you can even open up a mac.
I know how to swap the RAM. You just need a Phillips and a new card. Definitely NOT upgrading this computer though.

Thanks for all the help everyone! And all the bashing.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 11:11:45 am »

Yeah, you're going to want more than two gigs of ram around now. If it's a laptop, it'd be time for a new laptop, as these updates tend to have security patches that are gonna keep your OS secure. If it's a computer, look up your motherboard and see if you can stick larger sticks on that. Or more sticks. Swap memory might helpa bit I guess, but it's much slower than RAM, especially if you're not using a flash drive for it. Presumable the update required 2 gigs because it'd add new background processes that'll end up choking your performance if you don't have at least 2 gigs of free RAM. Best of luck.
You can replace most laptop's ram/upgrade it.  That and the harddrive is basically the only thing in laptops that comes out easily.
Nom nom nom

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 11:17:39 am »

You can replace most laptop's ram/upgrade it.  That and the harddrive is basically the only thing in laptops that comes out easily.
The battery usually comes out fairly easily too.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 07:35:50 pm »

I would gladly use a Mac, if the interface wasn't god-awful and ugly. They're pretty slick computers as far as the outside goes.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 07:48:16 pm »

I would gladly use a Mac, if the interface wasn't god-awful and ugly. They're pretty slick computers as far as the outside goes.
They're compact. So compact they overheat over nothing and tank the performance.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 09:20:13 pm »

Mac's don't like you doing either, at least not since the PowerPC days and before when you had bays for swapping. Now you rarely even get a panel to take off. Forget about trying to replace your battery. The Windows/Linux market usually gives you a couple doors to open and just plug stuff in and out. They also take a wider variety of RAM sticks. Batteries are often props to encourage heat dissipation.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 11:25:07 pm »

Mac's don't like you doing either, at least not since the PowerPC days and before when you had bays for swapping. Now you rarely even get a panel to take off. Forget about trying to replace your battery. The Windows/Linux market usually gives you a couple doors to open and just plug stuff in and out. They also take a wider variety of RAM sticks. Batteries are often props to encourage heat dissipation.

Yeah. I currently have a c. 2012 Macbook Pro that I bought the second I heard Apple was moving to integrated boards - they lost me as a customer with that. When this one dies, I'll try to buy another used one from the same year and model. On this laptop, I've added more RAM, swapped the battery twice, plus the hard drive and fan.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.