Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding Magma  (Read 1425 times)

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Finding Magma
« on: May 12, 2014, 04:38:58 pm »

Getting back into Dwarf Fortress after an absence and I want to set up Magma run Workshops but I don't know how to find magma close to the surface pre-embark. The best I can come up with would be using the Volcanism map and after embark do a quick reveal/unreveal, so is there a better way short of finding actual volcanoes or custom or multiple generations?
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Magma
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:35:19 pm »

Surface volcanoes show up on the embark map.  You can use dfhack 'prospect all' and look for obsidian or other igneous intrusive rocks, that usually means magma in the area. Once you embark 'prospect all' shows z levels for magma, so you can tell how shallow it goes.

Assuming you are doing custom maps, you can set the number of volcanoes in worldgen.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:35:19 pm »

Normally, without using a volcano, the closest to the surface you'll ever find magma is cavern layer three.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 07:00:04 pm »

To be more specific, volcanoes in the world tiles map are bright red ^

And then on the embark tiles map when choosing your specific site, they are double ~ in dark red.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Ramaraunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok is Laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 07:47:07 pm »

Prospect all is nice, wish I knew about that before. It can be a pain to find iron.
The moment you realize that there is no iron.