Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wall building problem  (Read 856 times)

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wall building problem
« on: May 02, 2014, 02:08:51 am »

I'm familiar with the occasional problem of a dwarf wanting to stand on the *outside* of your nice, protective wall while he builds it, and the "placeholder wall" trick to make him not stand there.

But lately I'm getting frequent wall construction job suspensions where Urist McPoopyhead wants to stand ON the building site, then complains that a creature is occupying it.  I think he's just trying to avoid work, but he's going to wind up atom smashed if I can't figure out why he won't finish this effing wall.

Thoughts?
Randy...

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wall building problem
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 02:43:09 am »

Oddly enough I am having this same exact problem. Nothing I do seems to persuade the dwarf to try building the wall from a different position even when I forbid the square.

Dowly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 02:46:20 am »

Been having the same problem as well. Strangely, it mostly happens when I try to build long sections of wall in the open outside.

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 03:08:37 am »

Yeah, I've had this problem. You need to Q and then X to remove building, then re-designate the wall and there should be no problems.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 04:24:48 am »

I was going to save all you dudes from your issue, but then this dude above me fixed it ;_;
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 10:28:13 am »

Oh, I definitely tried that, several times.  Once I was able to get the original build to happen by deconstructing the wall sections on either side of the gap and then rebuilding them in some order, but I didn't keep good notes.  Other times I've certainly cancelled the job and re-ordered the wall to be built on the spot, with and without bunches of placekeeper walls in various places, and none of those worked.  I ended up building around the stupid spot, which was annoying.
Randy...

brokegamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:02:01 pm »

They need an orthogonal spot to stand on to build it, even though when one is available they'll still happily stand on a diagonal instead if they feel like it. So yeah make sure there's a valid standin' spot to build.
I do let's plays on them there 'tubes.

Chances are if I'm making a post, I'm drunk.

yohyzo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 02:00:59 am »

If there is a ramp up to the wall and the dwarf uses that ramp they will choose to build it while standing on the site.

s
example _^#
(side view)

_ floor
^ ramp
# stone
s site of building

Nebullaron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 04:08:12 am »

I'm sure someone already suggested that, but you can use the d-o menu to designate the very building site of the wall as "restricted". It will fix the "creature on site" problem around 95% of the time, in my experience. After the wall is built, you can remove the traffic designation (although ... it's a wall, nobody's going there anyway).

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 08:02:29 pm »

I'm sure someone already suggested that, but you can use the d-o menu to designate the very building site of the wall as "restricted". It will fix the "creature on site" problem around 95% of the time, in my experience. After the wall is built, you can remove the traffic designation (although ... it's a wall, nobody's going there anyway).

Another way is to set a wall piece on the inside (where they will be trapped) of where they're building, suspend it, and then they will stand on the correct side, as they don't like to stand on plans if there's an alternative.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 08:16:07 pm »

I've had that a couple of times. I usually just build a section of wall further out or in to compensate for dwarven paranoia. Usually after the third or fourth cancel and re-designate.

Like this:__
_______|  |______
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.