Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Performance Issue - The Arena of Shame  (Read 830 times)

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Performance Issue - The Arena of Shame
« on: May 03, 2014, 12:25:19 pm »

I recently downgrade to a Pentium 4 3 ghz with 1 g ram. The game is running at more or less 30 fps at embark on 2x2. I turned off temperature and weather, didn`t breach cave, on a flat desert. So apart from traditional FPS improving techniques, I wonder what extreme measure in-game could be taken to maximize the limited power of Armok right now, because he doesn`t manage well since 2nd migrant wave but its not so bad.

My plan is next fortress I make a 1x1 garbage dump pit 20 z deep at start and start crushing every  useless item regularly. Also no big fortress, just a simple arena with limited facilities for champions and personel.

Also a plan is to kill most migrants by making them get naked in the military(no clothes, replace clothing), so they get quickly degraded and either die from depression or get killed for being berzerk. So basically, just a place for dwarves to die, I want executioner maximum dwarf kill fast. I will try personalizing his house for all his preference so he doesn`t go crazy.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Performance Issue - The Arena of Shame
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:07:03 pm »

If you're comfortable doing it, I'd suggest you try installing Linux on you computer. In case you're not familiar with it, t's a free OS and it's known to perform well on old hardware. There are lots of so-called distributions which are configured differently to suit various needs. Lubuntu might be a good choice for your computer, since it's based on and compatible with Ubuntu, the most popular distribution, but it uses a lot less memory.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 06:44:18 pm »

That look complicated. I`m trying to do that now, I need a cd, damn it that cost a lot of dwarfbuck this is supposed to be economical, I mean the CD will cost more than the whole computer i got. Also my usb key doesn`t work with this computer. Any other ways to install this without anything else than the computer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 07:57:36 pm »

It would be wise to download a mod like the Succession Optimization Mod (shameless self-promotion sighted off the port bow, captain) or the Accelerated Modest Mod by Meph. Both of these can be found in the Modding subforum and boost your FPS by a pretty large amount, in addition to providing bugfixes and much needed balancing. The AM removes a lot of stone/gem variations though, and the SO brings back Elf/Human diplomacy (amongst other things) so they're not absolutely faithful to vanilla.

For your current fort (I don't know if moving to the above mods would cause problems in your current save or not) I'd suggest moving the save over to a copy of DF with DFhack installed. There are some commands you can run to improve framerate you can find on the wiki that increase framerate considerably that don't really affect gameplay in the slightest.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 08:39:52 pm »

Thank You.

The pit will be ready soon and a steel spike machine too. I will keep slabs ready. Also a special place for migrants to get naked in inside a fungiwood pen. The executioner is fully armed with bronze armor and steel axe and steel shield. He is very agile and quite a normal dwarf that like drinking and tradition. I maxed shield user and dodge at start for him so we`ll see how far he will get. My hunter is furiously puncturing capybaras and i can clearly see the action in slow motion. (changed map to tropical forest)

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:14:06 pm »

The first migrant wave is getting naked in the 3x3 space in the fungiwood pen. I am bringing them food as soon as possible, some meat and booze.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 09:42:24 pm »

The migrants are sqeauling their indignity in the locked pen. Although we gave them our last barrels of booze, how audacious! Let them dry in this season of surface water evaporation. The executioner has ordered more booze to be brewed. The food clerk is a simple dwarven maiden that drink wine and strive for excellence. A primitive dwarf called the jungler as risen to the position of Captain of the Hunt, adorning his bronze armor and steel spear, along with a steel crossbow. The weaponmaster is mastering swordmanship part-time with his new steel short sword of exceptional quality.

First tantrum is witnessed among illegal aliens

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 09:59:57 pm »

I have opened the pen to put new booze and meat so they dont die, thety are exibiting weird behaviors.

1 mad-deranged permanently, he says alcohol is bad for health!
all very stressed but basic needs are met, so they are in shape

also some more dominant personalities have escaped the burrow order and are wreaking havoc, starting fist fights and yelling at the mayor (the clerk maiden). She has no patience and no empathy but this kind of bullshit as convinced her to allow a few dwarves out to see what happens and even give a few beds.

The executioner is standing guard along with the Captain.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 10:02:49 pm »

animal abuse has already started, the animals are winning -_-. We let one subject out and made her part of the guild of free dwarves. Shes a crazy tough nut.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 10:05:11 pm »

The unhappy new tougher and better ``maiden`` is venting out her rage at the mayor.(i hope they fight) She is getting better and we gave her leather outfit and a bed.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 10:17:58 pm »

The freed slave as gone crazy on the weapon master and is battering him in his room that is next hers. Hes not fighting back with his sword, this is one tough meeting(it says ``attend meeting``) and blood is everywhere on the stone floor. The weapon master is laying on the floor and struggle to regain counsciousness. Surprisingly all his pain his shrugged off along with his bruises, leaving a broken floating ribs. He seems to be a living punching bag that give moral relief.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 10:40:50 pm »

People turned on each other in the pen and after a while a corpse was flung out of it. Every clothes has been crushed already and even some corpses, im still trying to find some migrant parts around.

FPS : 40 more or less

good rooms for my starting sevens
small farm
smithy
communal hall with 4 bunk beds and 2 tables

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 09:20:13 am »

Game is over. Everyone is dead because we got everwhelmed but I must say this was instructing on various behaviours and also how the various traits I usually overlooked affected the dwarves.

I started another game with accelerated and I can have full fps at at start so we will see more of this on dwarven behavior. I will try choosing a leader that can handle angry dwarves.

Tnx for the advices

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 07:34:26 pm »

Does the computer have room to upgrade the RAM? I think you can use a max of 2gb with one of the DFhack plugins...

Otherwise accelerated works to a certain degree- my netbook didn't agree with the interface upgrade though. I had to constantly re-edit most of the settings or end up with waves of migrants, and the temperature settings off, when I've got too many projects requiring temperature on. Oh, If you're willing you can always have DF run on Realtime - that will speed it up a touch if you haven't already.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.