Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Biag made a game about pirates  (Read 881 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Biag made a game about pirates
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:50:04 pm »

Exactly what it says on the tin. Check it out here. You've got a little ship that you can sail around, and there's a fighting minigame that can be activated by sailing into another ship or through menu options in ports. You can enter ports just by sailing into them.

Some background: I made the game in twenty days for class, and there are plenty of aspects of it that are unfinished. I'm looking for feedback on what needs the most work, particularly in terms of conveyance. Do you know what to do when you start the game? If not, can you figure it out through experimentation? Is the fighting minigame intuitive enough? And, of course, how easy is it to break the game entirely?

Technical issues that I'm aware of:
 - The pure blue color for the ocean tiles is weird and disorienting.
 - There are no background graphics for the fighting minigame.
 - Everybody in the fighting minigame is identical. Hint: you're on the left.
 - Sometimes nothing happens when you touch another ship.
 - Enemy ships disappear when you pause and unpause.
 - There is no sound.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Biag made a game about pirates
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 02:08:08 pm »

I spent a minute clicking on the buttons until I realized that the menu was keyboard controlled. By only wasd no less.

The fighting minigame platform hitbox(?) is too big. I see people floating people pretty often. And the control scheme is pretty weird and I find myself constantly hitting a instead of s and s instead of w.

It does have a certain charm to it though.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 02:33:45 pm »

Thanks for the feedback! Menus can now be controlled with arrow keys, people should be falling off in more appropriate places (this was due to the actors' collision boxes being too big). Mouse control carries a larger set of issues and will take a bit longer to get in.

I agree that the fighting controls are strange. Is there anything in particular you think would improve them?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 02:50:04 pm »

Just put them on asd. Might also want to add something to signify who is atacking and who is defending, since fighting gets pretty chaotic sometimes. And it's really hard to tell whether a person is parrying a low kick or a stab. And I just saw a high slash go right through a high parry. I do find myself having a lot of fun with it despite that.

The hitbox is still off though.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 03:29:24 pm »

Ach. That's why you test every case before assuming something is fixed. :P Anyway, it's working now. Hitboxes had some really strange math going on that has been made normal.

I've put the controls to A/S/D, let me know if that works out better. The slash going through a parry was most likely the parry ending right before the hit triggered, which is a conveyance problem that can be solved with more descriptive animations. Although it's always possible there's a bug, so let me know if that seems to be happening a lot.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 06:19:37 am »

You should label the buttons at some point.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 09:10:21 am »

...oh. Yeah, those used to be labeled until I committed something I shouldn't have. I'll fix it over lunch.

EDIT: fixed now.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:15:11 pm by Biag »

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 10:25:25 am »

En garde! :D

The concept of fencing in this game is great! the fighting system can be expansively improved, and I'm sure you have great plans for the game, bigger than my expectations!

If you need help on storylines, writing, grammar or just ideas, contact me at my mail shown in my profile.

Good job, dude!   :D

shiink!! ting! ting! *sound of sword clashing continues*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)