Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interest Check: Company of Heroes Grand Campaign?  (Read 1946 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Interest Check: Company of Heroes Grand Campaign?
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:48:23 am »

I dont know if this goes into forumgames or here since this is supposed to be a mix of both. I'm curious if there would be any interest in some kind of Grand Campaign for Company of Heroes.

What i mean with a Grand Campaign is that i draw up a Huge Strategic Map of either the Historical or a Fictional Conflict.
Both sides get assigned Divisions and Armies which the (optional) High Command deploys as he sees fit and then assigns players to various fronts.

When it comes to a battle, instead of annihilate or capture the flag goals, Players have to attempt ro rout the other player. Since you have a finite amount of troops (dictated by which divisions you have available for battle) you face the very real danger of running out of men.

Depending on your wishes we can take different scenarios:

1.Company of Heroes Vanilla(+ the optional Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor)

2. Company of Heroes Eastern Front

Adds the Ostheer and the Soviet Army giving us the possibility of having wars between three or four countries (i think at least that the mod allowed battles of mixed sides)

3. Company of Heroes the Great War 1918

Turns the entire thing into a World War 1 Scenario.

Next Thing to note is the Strategic Level of this Forum Game/Campaign: The High Command.
Depending on your wishes we could skip High Command altogether (which will then instead be simulated by me), employ a basic High Command (aka just assigning Divisions and Players to the Fronts) or employ an Advanced High Command which will basically include shenanigans as Fuel Supplies, Ammunition and Manpower for reinforcements.

Well then if you are interested i need the following from you:

Preferred Scenario (+also acceptable Scenarios):
Preferred Role (High Command/Simple General Player) (+ in case of High command: basic, advanced)
Timezone:

Requirements for Joining:

Company of Heroes 2.700
Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts (depending on Scenario)
Company of Heroes Tales of Valor (depending on Scenario)
Company of Heroes Eastern Front (depending on Scenario)
Company of Heroes Great War 1918 (depending on Scenario)

Gameranger

Note that we will conduct Multiplayer via Gameranger for ease of use.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check: Company of Heroes Grand Campaign?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:51:36 pm »

I would be down for this. Great War 1918 would be interesting, never tried it. What expansions does it need?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 05:46:26 am »

all expansions, so you would need Vanilla Company of Heroes, Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:40:49 am »

I don't think you need "Tales of Valor", well, I'm able to run "The Great War: 1918" without it.
Also, I was able to link my "Company of Heroes" copies to my Steam account by inputting the CD keys from my manuals into the "Activate a Product on Steam" under "Games" in Steam.

I would be interested in joining in on this, in whatever manner you plan to run it. I have both mods and yes, "Eastern Fronts" does allow battles involving mixed countries. Not Soviets vs Britain but you can have Britain/Soviets/USA vs Ostheer/Wehrmacht/Panzer Elite.

I do not own "Tales of Valor" though I believe you can still play against people without it, unless you were planning to make use of the scenarios that come with that expansion.

How do you plan for the battles to take place? Do both players create specific units at the beginning of a battle and fight with only those, or is there a part of "Tales of Valor" that allows battles with limited forces?

Preferred Scenario: Any
Preferred Role: Simple General
Timezone: GMT +10 (Melbourne, AUS)
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:44:54 am »

i meant more along the lines of Soviet+Wehrmacht vs. Britain+Panzer Elite for example.

In any case, What i planned was indeed that players produce specific units at the beginning, leaving the manpower/fuel munition points alone (aka distribute them up evenly to speed up the process of producing the necessary units) and then fight it out with those.

However it depends on the battle. For example assaults on fortified positions would be about players first fortifying certain areas depending on hwo long they hold an area on the strategic map.

Ambushes would be more or less played out that a player has to move a certain column of units from one end of the map to the other AFTER the other player prepared ambushes all along the way.
Encirclements would work similiar like attacking fortified positions...
Battles (especially in the Great War 1918) which take longer with no side emerging as clear winner would begin with both players first fortyfing their positions along a certain battlefield.

Lets take a random example for The Great War and lets assume we took a fictional scenario( Careful this will be quite long):
the Veren Commonwealth (British) is in a War against the Khargen Kaiserreich (Germany and don't complaina bout the lack of originality here i just made that up, the actual scenario will be way more thought out and have more backstory and stuff). The Khargen High Command has fortified itself in the City of Grafenmünde 10 miles away from the front.
Through sheer luck (and terrible losses) the Veren have managed to break through the Khargen frontlines and in a mad scheme to quickl end the war has deployed the 1st Royal Rifles (which incurred heavy losses in the initial breakthrough at Herrenfeld), the 2nd and 3rd Orrostian Auxiliary and the 45th Artillery Division to Assault the City. For this purpose General Mech of the Veren Commonwealth and General Inteuniso, in charge of the Orrostian Auxiliaries have been ordered to lead the assault. While Mech is known as an Old fashioned General who still believes the Bayonet is king, Inteuniso while a rising star in the war for his Stormtrooper and Infiltration tactics, has only the Auxiliary with him which consists mostly of Green badly outfitted recruits.
Marching through the Gap they quickly enter unkown territory where a Khargen General already placed an ambush. After some rolls he successfully traps the 45th Artillery Division and the 2nd Orrostian in an Ambush.

Battle Deployment:
45th Artillery Division played by Mech#4
20 Mortar Sections
10 Field Guns
10 RE Field Sections
5 Command Sections
5 Rolls Royce AC representing the 5 Heavy Howitzers of the Division

2nd Orrostian Auxiliary played by inteuniso
20 Infantry Sections
11 Command Sections
2 Raiding Parties
1 Machine Gun Section

vs.

Sturmbatallion 15 Played by Ghaz
20 Stormtroopers with Mp 18 Upgrades
5 Snipers
5 Machinegun Sharpshooters
10 Platoon Leaders
1 Officer
5 Pionier Groups with Demolition Upgrade
2 Erhardt EV/4

23rd K.u.k. Artillerybatallion
10 lefH 16 Artillery Pieces
15 Mortar Teams
5 Lander Groups with Rifle Grenades and Sappenpanzers (3/7 Soldiers in each squad due to former engagements)
10 Pionier Groups with Demolition Ugrades
1 Officer
10 Platoon Leaders

As you can see we have two wildly different Groups opposing each other. The Khargen Units are better outfitted and on top of that due to having successfully pulled off an Ambush also get to choose Terrain (aka map) and get to prepare for the poor Orrostian and Verian Divisions. Choosing a City with Free bridges to cross forces the enemy to funnel through the roads. Of course the Khargen get to prepare their ambush thoroughly.
Then its the Verian and Orrostian players turn. They need to get as many units as possible through the ambushed areas to the end zone. In the end lets assume the ambush while successfull was pulled off quite amateurish. The enemy loses only 3 of his field guns and two of his heavy howitzers as well as some infantry. As they approach the City they are supposed to take they find themselves opposed to three more Khargen Divisions including the High Command and they got to dig themselves in. With a lot of artillery suport lost they are quite down on their luck.

This is the basic idea how i envision a campaign to run.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 11:13:55 am »

Ah, I think I understand a bit better now. Thanks for that.

So, an action will be decided on using a campaign map, dice rolls will be used to determine situations which will then be played out in game. A goal will be given for both sides and loses will carry over for a division.

On the faction vs thingy: In the base game, and all mods listed here, it is always Allies vs Axis (Allied Powers vs Central Powers).
I have found one mod that allows Allies vs Allies and it does support "Eastern Front" mod but not "Great War 1918". Though, looking further, it apparently isn't up to date with the release of the Ostheer faction.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 04:18:33 pm »

Oh well, so all fictional scenarios will be between two Nations :P

On another note, we still need at least three more players to make this work properly.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 08:26:35 pm »

I could give it a go. Haven't played CoH in a while, but this sounds fun.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.