Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: My Attempt to Eliminate/Minimize the FPS Death (HELP NEEDED!)  (Read 8246 times)

gritstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Attempt to Eliminate/Minimize the FPS Death (HELP NEEDED!)
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 03:28:10 pm »

... creatures have to repath every time they collide with another creature.
I see, thanks.   That's one thing crossed off and another thing added to the list of things I don't understand.

... the CPU has to check every endpoint of every place the potential path branches off.
As I understand it Manhattan A* doesn't do that...
In an open space it would choose the lowest cost option each time and take a near straight line to the endpoint.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 03:34:38 pm »

As I understand it Manhattan A* doesn't do that...
In an open space it would choose the lowest cost option each time and take a near straight line to the endpoint.
From one point in open space to ANOTHER point in open space, yes.

From one point in open space to a point inside of a twisty maze of passages in the depths of your fort, it will fail horribly at being efficient.

The outdoors traffic designations are primairly for returning dwarves. For instance, "Oh I just finished cutting this tree. Time to take a nap in my bed in the middle of the labyrinthine bedroom slum network" so that they don't flood search the entire surface of the map before finding the right corridor deep inside.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2014, 03:44:01 pm »

How could you possibly maintain interest in a fort long enough for this to be an issue

It first becomes an issue for me around year 5, generally. If a fort can't keep your attention for five years, DF probably isn't the greatest game for you.

gritstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2014, 11:02:11 am »

The outdoors traffic designations are primairly for returning dwarves.
True, yes, that makes sense.

On the subject of the 3 wide hallway though, how does that make so much difference?  Dwarves in a wide hall will generally hug one side, depending upon which side their endpoint is located.  Dwarves entering a fort and heading for living quarters or whatever else will generally take the same shortest path as everyone coming the other way.   Doesn't avoiding others in a hallway by sidestepping them mean that a dwarf still needs to repath?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 03:34:35 pm by gritstone »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]