Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't Dig Further...?  (Read 2111 times)

JerDGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't Dig Further...?
« on: May 05, 2014, 07:54:32 pm »

Warning:  New to Dwarf Fortress

I've been following along with the CaptnDuck videos for a few days now and am on my second fourth fort, but I've encountered a problem that for some reason, I cannot designate anymore up/down or down stairways on my way to the magma pool.  I'm trying to dig into stone (granite I think?) and while I can dig laterally, I'm not able to dig down.  Could it be my picks? What else could I look at?

EDIT:  I also can no longer REMOVE designations with 'x'.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:56:15 pm by JerDGold »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Dig Further...?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:58:28 pm »

Digging down shouldn't be a problem.

Unless you can see there is open space there.  Or glacier ice on rock.  Or you designate at the lowest accessible level without getting there.  Try channeling?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:04:17 pm »

You may have just gotten (un)lucky and reached the bottom without hitting magma.  Try mining to the sides on that level and you should hit warm stone soon enough.  DO NOT CONTINUE MINING on that level... unless you want !!FUN!!.  Go up a level, repeat, until you find the top of the magma pile.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 08:04:34 pm »

Well, as long as it's not semi-molten stone or slade it should be fine.

JerDGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 08:15:53 pm »

Thanks for the replies, it was definetly NOT the bottom, because it was still stone and not semi-molten ston.  Not sure what happened, but I'm digging somewhere else.  Someone please take this game away from me.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 09:11:07 pm »

If you were chaining up/down stairs together one after another then perhaps you accidentally put an up stairs instead of the up/down stairs you intended. Look at the lowest stairs in the series and see if they are up/down like they should be.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 09:54:15 pm »

Warning:  New to Dwarf Fortress

I've been following along with the CaptnDuck videos for a few days now and am on my second fourth fort, but I've encountered a problem that for some reason, I cannot designate anymore up/down or down stairways on my way to the magma pool.  I'm trying to dig into stone (granite I think?) and while I can dig laterally, I'm not able to dig down.  Could it be my picks? What else could I look at?

I have a suggestion.

Have you pressed caps lock?
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 10:22:19 pm »

What version of Dwarf Fortress are you playing?

If the version number on the title screen is "0.28.181.40d", then you've probably reached the bottom of your embark region - back then, you only had 15 Z-levels of stone beneath the lowest surface elevation, and there were no caverns or magma seas.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:25:05 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

thecrimsonbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 12:39:44 pm »

I have a suggestion.

Have you pressed caps lock?

THIS...this gets me every once in awhile, and had me going for a minute the first time it happened.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »

It's at the point where I look for the light every time something funky happens- I always end up hitting capslock in the middle of an ambush, it gets annoying.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 01:51:38 pm »

In this particular case, caps lock would cause his entire screen to flash obnoxious neon red or green if he tried to enter the designations menu, since it would instead pull up caravan accessibility.
Which probably would have been mentioned as a symptom.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.