Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dropping enemies in pools of liquid with erect spike traps  (Read 955 times)

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dropping enemies in pools of liquid with erect spike traps
« on: April 22, 2014, 04:12:35 pm »

I was wondering whether it would be wasteful to build spike traps in a magma pool that is under a retracting bridge connected to a pressure plate. Will the enemies fall on the spikes or will they "float down" through the magma and remain unharmed by the spikes? And what if the spikes are connected to some repeating mechanism, would that change the way it works?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping enemies in pools of liquid with erect spike traps
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:22:27 pm »

No kill like overkill. I can't speak to the ability of magma to cushion a fall, but spikes should have some effect, just remember to make the mechanisms magma safe too if you do decide on a repeating system, or the whole thing will still be destroyed.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:15:12 pm »

If they share 1 z-level, and the magma and spikes begin on the same level, theoretically they'll be hit by both at the exact same moment and take the full force of both. Also it's magma, so they'll probably be melted before the injuries from the spikes matter.

If the magma begins, and then 3 z-levels down there are spikes, there should be some cushioning, as well as a vast degree of face melting before it hits the spikes. Making the spikes almost redundant and a waste of metal.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 07:48:15 pm »

I once had a drowing/spike trap. I do believe that the water did cushion the blow after several z-levels of falling through it. Can't confirm though.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 07:55:01 pm »

I threw a cat into a volcano to test its abilities as a cushioning material, and the cat stayed on top of the lava until it vanished.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 07:57:45 pm »

Magma and water do slow falling creatures.

Use 1 z-level of magma with the spikes, and put several z-levels of air between the magma and the retracting bridge.

I threw a cat into a volcano to test its abilities as a cushioning material, and the cat stayed on top of the lava until it vanished.

Throw the cat from higher up, and it should sink.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:13 am »

Unlike Goblins, cats have [SWIMS_INNATE]
So it was swimming probably on the lava until it passed out by which point it was probably so close to (or already) burned up that you wouldn't see it fall a bit.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.