Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I safely train invading beasts?  (Read 2049 times)

Mr.Pylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can I safely train invading beasts?
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:48:21 am »

Ahoy hoy all, I just fended off an invasion of goblins mounted on Giant Cave Swallows, Cave Crocodiles and Giant Rats and I have a couple of those war animals captured in cages. My animal trainers have already worked at them and given them =trained= status, but I was wondering whether I can safely use them as guard beasts or even for breeding?

It would be a nice stroke to have Cave Crocodile eggs for food and a Giant Rat guarding my northern gate but I honestly don't know if they will still be hostile even after training,

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can I safely train invading beasts?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:07:10 pm »

Unfortunately they stay completely hostile to your dwarves, and also gain a tag to avoid your traps. Whatever you do don't let them out of their cages, at this point they're only useful in training your Animal Trainers and getting knowledge about the animals.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 12:34:40 pm »

I recently had a tortoise bite off both of one of my hammerdwarves' hands, so I'm going to go with no.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:21:18 pm »

You can breed them and their offspring will be safe.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mr.Pylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:03:31 pm »

That's too bad that I can't use them right away but so long as DF spore-based breeding works I can have some draft giant animals soon. Thanks for the responses!

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 02:13:47 pm »

But wouldn't they fight and possibly kill their offspring the moment they were born?

Zealord

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBURBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:16:58 pm »

But wouldn't they fight and possibly kill their offspring the moment they were born?

That's what I was thinking.
This is great.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 09:30:36 pm »

If you let them out to breed, then capture them again, they'll give birth in the cages and won't be able to murder their children. Of course, this won't work for egg-layers. Does anyone know if egg-laying prisoners will use nest boxes?

Alternately, you could keep them on chains in large rooms. They'll fight their offspring, but they won't be able to pursue if the young flee; that said, when I built an invader-breeding atrocityfacility in Friendlymurders there was a tendency for the children to gang up on and kill their mothers.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 10:34:59 pm »

Does anyone know if egg-laying prisoners will use nest boxes?
They don't, apparently.

At least he can have that giant rat at the northern gate.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mr.Pylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 12:31:59 am »

Damn, I hadn't thought of that. Oh well, Giant Rats everywhere it is then!

Methadone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 03:29:10 am »

If all else fails, you can always use them for marksdwarf training.

ruanna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 10:24:40 am »

Don't animals in cages still breed? I remember having a fortress where all my dogs were caged but still kept producing puppies - or had they already bred before I caged them?

Frostea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 09:48:11 pm »

Don't animals in cages still breed? I remember having a fortress where all my dogs were caged but still kept producing puppies - or had they already bred before I caged them?

In those cases, the mother was already pregnant before being caged.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 04:26:25 pm »

This thread may have some useful ideas. They've probably got designs there you can use to separate the young from their parents to prevent... issues. You'll probably have to modify them (to make the offspring actually survive, among other things) but the concepts are all there.

Edit: It'll be even simpler, given that you don't need to capture aquatic creatures for your purposes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:28:34 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.