Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad based puzzles  (Read 763 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Squad based puzzles
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:19:27 am »

So I was recently reminded of the great gem called Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines and got a strong desire to play something like that. I already know of the sequels, Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood and Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive. My question is: are there more of these? Especially recent ones?

NB: Despite appearances, these are not RPGs or squad level RTTs- the main focus should be on solving the level.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Squad based puzzles
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:58:37 am »

Not recent, but The lost vikings for the SNES kinda fit the description.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 02:07:50 pm »

Quadrax

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:12:50 pm »

Lemminsg remake, kinda fits the bill though I know not exactly: http://clonesgame.com/
I got nothing

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 04:10:55 am »

You could very loosely call Attack of the Paper Zombies and its successor Infested Planet something like squad-based puzzle games. They're still mostly squad-based tactics, but the approach required to clear each level needs a fair bit of planning.

Failing that... I think there were some games where you control a SWAT team from above, requiring planning and positioning to carry out the task without harming any hostages, etc.

And if you look really far back, there's the Lost Vikings, the Lemmings, and even the Gobliiins/Gobliins 2/Goblins 3 series of quest/adventure/puzzle games.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 04:45:51 am »

I believe "Frozen Synapse" should be right up your alley.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 04:47:41 am »

Failing that... I think there were some games where you control a SWAT team from above, requiring planning and positioning to carry out the task without harming any hostages, etc.
If you're looking for this type of games, the old Ghost Recon (when not played as a FPS), Alpha anti-terror, and more recently a game I have on my home computer and that I will give you the name this evening are nice.

And Frozen Synapse is awesome, in this type of game. And it has a really good and original story.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 06:49:00 am »

I believe "Frozen Synapse" should be right up your alley.
I thought it was a TBT (with TBSR), a la Laser Squad? I, guess, I'll look into it when I get home since that sounds pretty cool either way.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.