Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Star Conquest (Flash Gordon style)  (Read 888 times)

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
Star Conquest (Flash Gordon style)
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:36:25 am »

Hello there, I've been playing a MOO recently by the name of Star Conquest. It's a very interesting online game that enforces roleplay and is set some 300 years in the future. From the website itself:

Quote from: Star Conquest
Star Conquest is a pulp science fiction adventure RPG set 300 years in the future.

“Pulp” science fiction means that we went back to the sci-fi authors of the 50s and 60s, and built a future that they might’ve envisioned. Other solar systems are colonized, starships move faster than light through space, and there are aliens and strange artifacts to find.

Our game is also roleplay-intensive, and we encourage each player to develop a fleshed-out character concept.

Features:

Fully realized space system! Own your own starship, trade between distant spaceports, and explore the galaxy!
Full-featured battlesuit combat system! Fight on the ground against the enemies of humanity in your own suit of powered armor!
Event-driven storyline! Watch the game’s storyline unfold through regular events run by the staff! Influence the course of events!
Continually evolving game mechanics! An active staff improves game systems and creates entirely new ones continually!
Completely original! Our own original game design, our own code, and our own characters and story!

It's got a lot of interesting and original concepts. Players take the role of a new cadet fresh out of the academy from any of 4 different intergalactic empires (All based on things like military might, deep space exploration or manufacture and trade, etc) and are tasked with expanding and exploring in the name of the human race!

Player customization is extremely expansive, with a lot of different options not only at chargen, but also later in the game with features such as hair growth (not just on your head!), meaning that characters will have to go to the hair dressers on a regular basis if they don't enjoy that space-hobo look.

Ships are also massively customisable. Starting with a 1-man cruiser, you can deck it out with hundreds of objects ranging from one-use FTL drives to shag carpetting and waterbeds. Soon enough you'll be moving onto multiple man ships with their own crew compartments and gunning stations, meaning for some awesome team work opportunities whilst blasting away aliens in space combat.

There's also ground based exploration and combat, with lots of different planets to explore. I've only just started playing, and already I've met some wonderful people and been on some pretty cool adventures!

Check it out at: http://web.squidsoft.net/games/sc/

Hoping to see and roleplay with you guys ingame!

EDIT: Forgot to mention something about the playercount. I've seen around 50-60 people on at peak times ingame, which is pretty high for a mu* these days!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:08:14 am by Detrevni|inverteD »

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Conquest (Flash Gordon style)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 02:53:16 pm »

Gonna bump this a little bit since I recently rediscovered it. It's truly an awesome game but it doesn't get the playerbase it deserves (around 20 players average), and probably something that B12 would like, since you can all team up and get a big ship and go fight aliens and all that cool stuff.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:45:32 am »

Hmm, I think I'll have a look at this! Any tips?

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:55:48 am »

what is the space flight like? is it 3d free flowing like trekmush or is it grid based like Miriani and Wayfar1444?
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 02:46:56 am »

I havent played those MU*s but it's a 3d ordeal, you can go up and down as well as north east south and west.