Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Tower - Sea Battle + Worms + FTL  (Read 2016 times)

iosoftware

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Tower - Sea Battle + Worms + FTL
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:57:40 pm »

Dwarf Tower is a turn-based tactics game of tower building and spellcasting. Each turn you develop your tower by placing blocks, constructing rooms, and play various spells. Your tower can have Libraries (store spells), Crystals (generate mana), Dwarf Dwellings (give you dwarves to repair the tower) and some other rooms. The crucial room is Archmage's Chamber. It's position is hidden from enemy and you must protect it at all costs, or you will lose. Room scheme is very important: the higher you place it, the more powerful it gets. Higher tower gets tremendous advantage over the lower one. But beware of Lightning strike! It can start a fire that will destroy the whole tower in several turns, so keep Dwarf Firefighters ready. Some rooms work much better underground, but there is a risk of flood! The overall goal of the game match is to destroy the enemy's Archmage's Chambers by crushing, burning or flooding it. It's not that simple however, because enemy will do his best to destroy your Archmage at the same time!

The game features single player mode against the computer as well as multiplayer mode. You can challenge your friends right now (supported in beta).

Think of Sea Battle, mixed with some Worms fun, and Faster Than Light room management. Add beautiful pixel-art graphics, animation, and wonderful music from Kevin MacLeod.

Sounds good? We encourage you to try Dwarf Tower beta right now:

Desktop Microsoft Windows latest beta build:

http://dwarftower.palmheroes.com/builds/win/DT-win-latest.exe

Mac OS X latest beta build:

http://dwarftower.palmheroes.com/builds/mac/DT-mac-latest.dmg

Read the game rules here (English): https://www.facebook.com/notes/dwarf-tower/game-rules/1431683710411517

iosoftware

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Tower - Sea Battle + Worms + FTL
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 06:07:00 pm »

The dwarves work better underground. You can place them in other rooms, but they will always have just basic performance there.
Technically, it's a game about building a tower, and dwarves play a highly important role in the game.

iosoftware

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 06:08:32 pm »

>>[Insert post about it being bad form to have your first post advertising your product here]

It's the off-topic forum part about other games. I'm posting about another game. I make games, so what's the problem here?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:14:07 pm »

It REALLY needs to stop force minimizing and taking me to the support page every other turn...

iosoftware

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 06:18:25 pm »

Sorry about the game minimising. We're working on a fix for the link auto-opening. Don't know why it works like this with some people. The update should be available tomorrow.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:20:14 pm »

>>[Insert post about it being bad form to have your first post advertising your product here]

It's the off-topic forum part about other games. I'm posting about another game. I make games, so what's the problem here?
It's just that a large number of devs seem to view bay12 as a resource, as opposed to... y'know, people. If you stay around, people are happier with it, but we've had a number of devs come on, post their product, shove a kickstarter in, reply to one or two posts then disappear forever.
Pretty much, it's like the difference between a friend telling you about a cool game they've heard of and a random advertiser blaring out a message at random people.

That said looks like an interesting game, I'll have to give it a whirl sometime.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 07:23:38 pm »

PTW
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 08:51:07 pm »

played a round and quit enjoyed it. didn't realy get see the worms or ftl and haven't played see battle so the description is a bit confusing but don't know what else to compare it to (im trying to say it is unique).
it took me a few turns to figure out how things work but once i got it it was very instinctive.

the reflector seemed a little unbalanced as you could put it in the top room and it rendered lightning useless

and on the  [Insert post about it being bad form to have your first post advertising your product here]
its kind of a standing joke around here when ever anyone makes an account to advertise there game which is fine as long as they stick around and interact with the community.
we just get annoyed if they toss a kick starter at us and leave. 

i think you going to stick around however.

i can see it would be very fun multiplayer and was wondering if there were any plans for hot seat game play.

the constant links to your page were annoying but
it is good to see you did not post the donate link here which shows you just want honest feedback
and your funding goal is very reasonable

iosoftware

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 06:30:05 am »

The reflector levels out the gameplay once you get more mana, to force you use more sophisticated (and expensive) spells.
Remember, it's a beta - there will be more spells and rooms added later.

Anyone willing to donate will donate anyhow, so posting just a crowdfunding link is pointless. It's always better to give something to play instead.

Regarding FTL: in the donate link, we have a stretch goal for adding campaign single player mode with interactive fiction events, similar to FTL. And building your tower in that mode will be constant, like your ship in FTL. Whatever is on fire - will continue to burn after the battle.

Hot-seat is an option, of course. Easy to implement.

iosoftware

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 07:11:50 pm »

We fixed the links opening and minimising the game.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:50 pm »

The game reminds me of a little free game I stumbled across ages ago called Ants, in which you controlled an army of ants, either black or red, who also built a tower (although you had no control over rooms/design, it was simply a case of how tall it was, or how tall the 'wall' around it was) The game's been remade at least a half dozen times from what I can see after a quick google search, some of them seem to have greatly improved the graphics, others simply made it accessible online without a download.

Like this game, Ants also used the idea of random abilities that would be generated each turn, that you'd use to build up your tower, or destroy your opponents. However it took the direction of a deck of cards. You could draw from the deck, randomly, and didn't have to use up a card, you could hold onto it in your hand until you had the resources to use it (certain cards added resource production to your tower, which could be used to play the various cards you might have in your hand)

Much like Ants, I found myself enjoying Dwarf Tower, despite the simple mechanics, or perhaps because of them. The reason I mention Ants though is that after a couple of rounds of Dwarf Tower I began to feel that I'd experienced much of what the game had to offer, and being at the mercy of the random assignment of blocks I could place at the start of each round, without any means to preserve those I couldn't place, began to wear on me after a while. I wondered if it were fair to really be frustrated by the randomness, after all, Ants employs plenty of randomness in the cards you get dealt. But I think it came down to how the randomness was presented to me as the player; whether I really do have any control over the randomness in Ants, I'm given the illusion that I do (or at least that I can plan around it to some degree), where as DT it's pretty cut and dry that I have no power at all, and some turns I'll literally have nothing I can do for the want of a correct piece or while I wait on mana building up.

All in all though, I do enjoy the game, and will be keeping my eye on this thread to see how things progress :)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 12:27:20 pm »

It's just that a large number of devs seem to view bay12 as a resource, as opposed to... y'know, people. If you stay around, people are happier with it, but we've had a number of devs come on, post their product, shove a kickstarter in, reply to one or two posts then disappear forever.
Pretty much, it's like the difference between a friend telling you about a cool game they've heard of and a random advertiser blaring out a message at random people.

Is it though? I mean, I only recognize a few names on this site, like 10-20. And the rest are as known to me as any escaped lunatic would be. So practically there is little difference between a dev posting a game and a user doing it, to me personally. And since these are the DF forums, most games posted are at least somewhat related to genres I prefer, like simulation or tower/city/kingdom building or RTS or w/e. I don't think I've ever seen a dev post a shooter of any kind for instance.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 12:30:39 pm »

Is it though? I mean, I only recognize a few names on this site, like 10-20. And the rest are as known to me as any escaped lunatic would be. So practically there is little difference between a dev posting a game and a user doing it, to me personally. And since these are the DF forums, most games posted are at least somewhat related to genres I prefer, like simulation or tower/city/kingdom building or RTS or w/e. I don't think I've ever seen a dev post a shooter of any kind for instance.

Might be because you don't hang out in lower boards enough.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

iosoftware

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 05:51:41 pm »

Dwarf Tower has just become much more fun!
We've added 4 new spells:
- Disturbance - 50% chance to explode a random enemy crystal
- Collapse - completely destroy and fill an enemy underground room with rocks. You choose the room manually.
- The old Flood spell is now called Rain
- The new Flood spell now allows you to manually select an underground enemy room to flood. Floods 4 rooms.
- The Fire spell starts a fire in a random enemy room (including underground)

- On top of that, Dwarf Tower now has a whole new system of realistic water physics. Rooms can now be partially flooded, and water spills across neigboring rooms.
- Doors now prevent water from spreading.
- If water pressure becomes too high, doors will break.

- At last, we tweaked the spell balance. In the beginning of the game, you will have just your regular basic spells. Closer to Round 6, you will start to get more expensice, devastating spells.

Update the game, and enjoy!