Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Height of magma mist cloud?  (Read 1874 times)

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Height of magma mist cloud?
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:06:53 pm »

Last embark "Warmthpainted" (fitting) near a nicely-appointed volcano; after I was done organizing the fort and building the basics, I started disposing of all of the unnecessary objects (for FPS purposes) in the caldera.  After some !!accidents!!, I moved the garbage dump zone to a platform about 5 z-levels above the surface of the lava...still, I would find that a couple times a year when the dwarves were dumping corpses or stones, I would get a "bled out" notification, zoom to it, and find an expanding cloud of dwarf-smoke on the platform.

So reading the wiki, I was led to believe that magma mist only floated up one z-level...clearly that is not the case, or something else was happening to make my dwarves burst into flames.  Any thoughts?

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Height of magma mist cloud?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:29:40 pm »

Splashback?

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 02:21:45 am »

Last embark "Warmthpainted" (fitting) near a nicely-appointed volcano; after I was done organizing the fort and building the basics, I started disposing of all of the unnecessary objects (for FPS purposes) in the caldera.  After some !!accidents!!, I moved the garbage dump zone to a platform about 5 z-levels above the surface of the lava...still, I would find that a couple times a year when the dwarves were dumping corpses or stones, I would get a "bled out" notification, zoom to it, and find an expanding cloud of dwarf-smoke on the platform.

So reading the wiki, I was led to believe that magma mist only floated up one z-level...clearly that is not the case, or something else was happening to make my dwarves burst into flames.  Any thoughts?

I'm not sure about the height of the magma mist cloud, but maybe a safer option would be a stockpile connected to a trackstop that is automated to dump items in a pit (around 10 z levels of depth) and instead of using magma to dispose the stuff build a raising bridge connected to a pressure plate that is on the way to the refuse/garbage stockpile. That way your trash gets automatically atom smashed instead of immolated and you dont need any micromanagement. It needs to be a pit of around 10 z levels though as the bridge might otherwise flung stuff back on your dwarves face and break their faces.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:24:01 am by juxari »

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 02:22:48 am »

double

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 01:16:13 pm »

Are you sure its not a magma crab? as they can both shot magma up several levels. I had to wall in my statue garden in a volcano 10 z-levels above the magma because of that.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 01:55:49 pm »

I second the theory of magma crabs. They are almost omni-present in volcano maps, and will routinely snipe random dwarves every year or two if you have a lot of unprotected activity around volcanoes.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 06:17:17 pm »

I second the theory of magma crabs. They are almost omni-present in volcano maps, and will routinely snipe random dwarves every year or two if you have a lot of unprotected activity around volcanoes.

Sure, blame the magma crabs! You'd spit molten rocks at people too if they were throwing socks on your face all year!
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Cheiftain121

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is for the weak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 04:40:06 am »

The more you drop into the magma the more mist is created.so It can go 5 z-levels up if you dropped enough into it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 05:35:55 am »

there's also the possibility of "boiling XX" producing a plume of hot vapor. this is especially true of nuking non-magma-safe rocks.

say for instance, "boiling limestone".

i second the use of an automated dropchute. magma straight from a magma vent is too dangerous to use for workshops, or to have exposed to air anywhere dwarves or pets can be near it. magma crabs and fire imps will ruin your day quickly. this is one of the reasons for using a diagonal flow fortification to breach the magma vent. (diagonal kills any flow pressure, not that magma pressurizes normally anyway, but you know. without aggressive flow, creatures dont get pushed through the slit, so crabs and pals dont go through. have several of these in line, and crabs dont get into the magma tank.)

i realize that this removes part of the psychological fun of feeding the volcano gods, but if you want to go that route, the occasional dwarf beaned with obsidian pellets or roasted like a little pork sausage are par for the course.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 09:14:38 am »

there's also the possibility of "boiling XX" producing a plume of hot vapor. this is especially true of nuking non-magma-safe rocks.
My research suggests that boiling anything doesn't hurt dwarves anymore. At least, thats my experience with boiling booze. All though, it was fun to create a booze-mister, it would have been more fun if it had created happy thoughs, or burning dwarves. Needless to say my experiments highly suggest that exploding booze stockpiles are prettier than deadly.

Since steam isn't the genocide inducing tool it once was, I assume the same for all boiling materials, which would include boiling limestone.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 05:52:20 pm »

Are you sure its not a magma crab? as they can both shot magma up several levels. I had to wall in my statue garden in a volcano 10 z-levels above the magma because of that.

Nah, magma crabs are actually shooting molten basalt globs, which doesn't seem to ignite things. Not so long ago, a magma crab wandered  really close to the surface of the lava, and spotted a hapless hauler running after his job on the brige over the crater. The crab started to take pot-shots on the dwarf. The hauler successfully dodged the first projectile, but unfortunately, he jumped over the top of a wall block which had no path from it at all. So basically, he managed to trap himself, providing a perfect training session for the crab, who promptly made the best out of it.
After a month or so, we managed to build a staircase to rescue the hauler, who was subject of a month-long magma crab attack, but aside a few bruises and two broken bones, he was fine. And not on fire.

So I'm pretty (about 98%) sure that, it wasn't a crab, I would accuse the fire imps for that. They shoot actual fireballs, that will set things on fire for sure.

PS: And hey, I have a good supply of free basalt since then!
PS2: This discovery makes basalt another renewable stone-source in the game.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:00:53 pm by Geldrin »

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 06:37:45 pm »

This might be related to a bug i encountered with marksdwarves.  marksdwarves often end up with goblin/troll/elf blood "splashing" onto their bodies even if they are max range away from the combat and that blood has no business being anywhere near them. 

Possibly a similar situation with dwarves having magma "splashed" onto them from the objects they drop.  Id bet that even 200z level drop would still result in a few dwarves bleeding out.

From my tests with marksdwarves this only happens a fraction of the time and results in relatively low amounts of blood teleporting onto the marksdwarves.