Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Not 1 but 3 Necromancer Towers  (Read 2784 times)

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not 1 but 3 Necromancer Towers
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 10:28:46 pm »

So I got hit with my first siege in the middle of the Spring of the 2nd year which is pretty dang fast.  And due to some faulty construction, my bridges weren't up properly, nor was my moat entirely finished, so needless to say I was overrun.

So I started over again with the same save file and built a much better system.  I built a 7 z-level death pit with spike traps at the bottom, which I controlled via levers and then let a squad of marksdwarves mop up once enough damage was done.  The only problem was, some of the marksdwarves weren't equipped properly because I ran out of time to prepare for the siege.  Due to poor design once again, there were far more casualties than were acceptable and the fort very nearly was overrun by a tantrum spiral.  However, the nice thing about the death pit is it doesn't discriminate and I was forced to put down about half of my fort as they tantrum spiraled out of control. 

The funny part about that is, my original 7, and the first two small migration waves were virtually unaffected.  It was only the 40+ migration wave that was decimated heavily, and they entirely made up the marksdwarves as well.  Oh well, no complaints.  The fortress is still going quite strong and very little of the infrastructure was affected.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:31:43 pm by Mishrak »

DeusMortem

• Bay Watcher
  • my dwarf has an atrocious spatial sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 04:26:31 am »

These kind of embarks should be on dfworlds
they are simple to reproduce just make a smaller region with lots of civs 100-150 usually goes without to many rejects turning the temperature down to negative temperatures makes sure u get mostly goblins and dwarfes. usually brings 3-20 towers with 100 years of history and dunno if that is just random but seem to often have a dwarfen civ with war status with the goblins making it even more interessting.
furthermore u can crank up the number of titans to 250-500 if u still lack the challange although it should be mentioned that u are pretty much guaranteed to get several trapavoid titans with these settings in case u rely on trap corridors
Eripe Diem

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 04:29:40 am »

Just check the world gen cookbook: many requests are quite easy and have been done before: the problem is that people are lazy/don't know how advanced gen works/fear the rejection/are easily discouraged.
A worldgen database is good to avoid that.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

DeusMortem

• Bay Watcher
  • my dwarf has an atrocious spatial sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 05:14:26 am »

Just check the world gen cookbook: many requests are quite easy and have been done before: the problem is that people are lazy/don't know how advanced gen works/fear the rejection/are easily discouraged.
A worldgen database is good to avoid that.
you are probably right i like to go crazy on adv. world gen and see it as half the fun of DF ^^
Eripe Diem

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 03:21:16 pm »

What magic is this? I barely manage to get one tower...

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 03:44:52 pm »

This, so far, has been almost non stop sieges since the first one came at the beginning of the 2nd year.  I'm now dealing with my third one.  And my shoddy marksdwarves do little more than get themselves killed (especially when they don't equip the items i want them to).  I have opened my death pit into the caverns, but I'm now questioning the usefulness of this, as small as it is.  I'm debating converting the entire top area into a part of the death pit.  Right now the biggest danger is when people get into a fell mood and require leather (because I have none).  The elven caravan showed up, right beside a goblin ambush, and a zombie siege, and quickly left before it got hairy.  Probably just as well because I would have sacked them for their stuff.

In other news, in searching for magma I managed to locate a particularly attractive source of candy.  I'm not sure if I should go hammers or use some other slicing weapon, but at the very least a suit of armor will be worth having for special dwarves.  So long as the clowns cooperate, we should be OK.  So my next project is internalizing the industry via magma forges and getting candy  harvested.  I might actually seal the whole fort off for awhile and let things go insane outside till I can reasonably deal with it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:56:32 pm by Mishrak »

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 09:21:59 am »

Why not let the clowns take out the zombies on the surface? It might take a few suicide miners, but that's what nobles are for!

Sitokirment

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 03:16:24 pm »

Why not let the clowns take out the zombies on the surface? It might take a few suicide miners, but that's what nobles are for!

I agree with this notion. I agree with it heavily.

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 03:21:46 pm »

I agree with this notion. I agree with it heavily.
Seconded.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.
Pages: 1 [2]