Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Volcanoes - surroundings relation  (Read 748 times)

maqertas

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWIMS_INNATE]
    • View Profile
Volcanoes - surroundings relation
« on: April 11, 2014, 03:50:22 pm »

So I generated a new world using the Advanced Parameters and setting the min volcanism rate to 10, max to 100 (all other parameters were default).
The result is a region where surroundings vary from Terrifying to Serene, including a whole evil ocean named The Cremated Ocean, serene Glittery Hills that stretch on nearly half of the map, mirthful mountains and sinister plains that are adjacent to the Hills. There is some space in between but most of the map is either really good or really bad.

My question is: are volcanoes the cause of this?

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanoes - surroundings relation
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:17:36 pm »

Nope. As far as I know volcanos have exactly 0 influence on the amount of good/evil biomes.
You probably fiddled around with the parameter controlling the amount of good/evil biomes.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 12:33:19 pm »

perfect for embarks with reanimating biome and good biome that stops reanimation! You can have an endless training ground for your military if you build a controlled training facility at the edge of the two biomes! And you can do it in any weather/terrain since it seems you have these biomes everywhere! Don't miss your chance!

Cheers

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 01:26:06 am »

Nope. As far as I know volcanos have exactly 0 influence on the amount of good/evil biomes.
You probably fiddled around with the parameter controlling the amount of good/evil biomes.

Correct.

Volcanism only controls the appearance of igneous extrusive layers, and the appearance of volcanoes.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 01:45:48 am »

If you want proof, I suggest that you gen a statistically significant amount of worlds (2 years of gen will suffice, since evilness and savagery are not influenced by history) with the same parameters but not the same seed.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

maqertas

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWIMS_INNATE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 05:54:55 am »

Yep, already did this and turns out I have overrated the might of volcanoes.
Thanks for the clarification.