Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (tame bat)  (Read 823 times)

tom_kazansky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(tame bat)
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:42:37 am »

how do i eat/kill them.. where do i actually find them?

I can see them in the z-> animals menu. can't butcher them
I do not see them in z-> stocks in cages, animal traps, small tame animals, small live animals.
I also do not see them in u->livestock and u->others.

Where are those animals?

(Probably i got them by buying "everything" from some elves.)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: (tame bat)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 01:29:31 pm »

They're vermin, no way to butcher them but if they're wandering about I think a starving dwarf may eat them.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:54:18 pm »

how do i eat/kill them.. where do i actually find them?

I can see them in the z-> animals menu. can't butcher them
I do not see them in z-> stocks in cages, animal traps, small tame animals, small live animals.
I also do not see them in u->livestock and u->others.

Where are those animals?

(Probably i got them by buying "everything" from some elves.)

They are tame vermin creatures. Vermin creatures can be eaten if caught in a trap, but if tamed they are usually useful only as pets. I have never seen dwarves eating vermin except when starving.

Dwarves can take up tamed vermin as pets if you make them available in the animals menu, and they are probably also better for your FPS. Someone please confirm that last part.

-> I'd personally try to get your vampires to adopt the bats as pets.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 05:19:35 pm »

It probably already left the map. Creatures that manage to "chew their way out of confinement" stick around in the units list even after they're gone.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 06:57:50 pm »

it's best not to worry about it.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 06:17:15 am »

If you bought it from the elves it's probably in one of the wooden cages. If you try and build the cage and use the detailed selection (x) screen one cage will be listed as "(tame bat) cage".
You still can't do much with it, but I like to build the cages of tame vermin I get from the elves in my dinning room next to my cage of kittens.  It adds a small amount of value and I like to think of the kittens desperately trying to get at all the bats and worms and cockroaches.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 08:08:16 am »

Tame bats in your unit list usually arrive with the elf caravan, and escape their cages immediately.
I highly recommend AGAINST assigning flying vermin as pets.
Flying vermin do NOT lose flying status, like other tamed flying things, and anyone adopting them will flood your announcements with "Urist McPetOwner cancels retrieve pet, inaccessible"

edit: typo
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:51:25 pm by enizer »