Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Google Glass  (Read 4261 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Google Glass
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2014, 05:54:21 pm »

And this is specifically aimed at BurnedToast because he said it a million times without acknowledging other people's refutations:

3: Yes there are already mini cameras and I don't know you're recording me with them. But Glass is in my face. Glass is you telling me you're recording me and I can't do anything about it. Spy cameras are not the same thing.

So you're acknowledging that the only reason you care about glass is because you can't stick your head in the sand and pretend the problem does not exist?

Because I'm happy with that, it's the exact point I've been trying to make. People only don't like glass because it reminds them of problems they can't or won't deal with, not because glass is bad in any way.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2014, 06:06:55 pm »

Soon enough we will all have bionic eyes and brains with built-in wifi /recording/streaming, and Google glass will be old news anyway.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2014, 06:33:25 pm »

So you're acknowledging that the only reason you care about glass is because you can't stick your head in the sand and pretend the problem does not exist?
There's no need for that tone here, chill out. Leo was probably pointing out that people who don't like the idea of being recorded get constantly reminded of it happening to them when they see glass users, while hiden cameras and satellites and what not are not visible to them. If they were they would cause same reaction as glass and for the same reason, people like their privacy.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2014, 06:34:17 pm »

Are there apps to mimic the Terminator or Robocop GUIs?

EDIT: (trick question, Robocop had a CLI, not a GUI :D)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2014, 06:44:07 pm »

There's no need for that tone here, chill out. Leo was probably pointing out that people who don't like the idea of being recorded get constantly reminded of it happening to them when they see glass users, while hiden cameras and satellites and what not are not visible to them. If they were they would cause same reaction as glass and for the same reason, people like their privacy.
It's still not a valid argument.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2014, 07:22:05 pm »

And this is specifically aimed at BurnedToast because he said it a million times without acknowledging other people's refutations:

3: Yes there are already mini cameras and I don't know you're recording me with them. But Glass is in my face. Glass is you telling me you're recording me and I can't do anything about it. Spy cameras are not the same thing.

Because I'm happy with that, it's the exact point I've been trying to make. People only don't like glass because it reminds them of problems they can't or won't deal with, not because glass is bad in any way.

1: I'd have the same reaction to finding out that someone was secretly recording me with a spy camera. I'd post the same things I've been posting if this were a spy camera thread. It's a Glass thread, so I'm talking about Glass.
2: Of course the problem exists. I thought you were trying to argue that because there are spy cameras, nobody should be upset at being recorded at all.
3: As my previous posts clearly indicate, that is not the "only problem" I have with smart glasses. I invite you to read more carefully.

I do agree that one reason people don't like Glass is because it's an in-your-face version of everything that already exists. That alone is a reasonable way in which Glass is bad. But there are other reasons previously enumerated by people posting in this very thread.

And regardless, it comes to this: I don't give two shits about Glass specifically, it's smart glasses and similar tech that I'm talking about, and to an extent all of the other "spy camera" type tech. But because Glass is included in the sphere of spy camera tech in functionality (because eventually it'll become socially acceptable to wear it everywhere) it is also problematic.

In this way I am trying to explain to you how I feel that the spy tech, Glass included, is problematic. And I've already made it clear that I understand that people who don't care about being watched constantly would not care about this issue.

I am excited to see what you post next.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2014, 07:34:37 pm »

But you have still to establish how there's an appreciable chance of a moving short range jammer (anything with a lot of power would drain batteries too fast) could lead to a death.

I already have established that. Many people use their phones for emergnecies (some people have phones on them only for emergencies), so jamming peoples phones (particularly for such a silly reason like "it violates my morals") can very well inhibit their use in such a case.

How short is short? Your jammer still has to serve its function and stop people from livestreaming you, so it would have to have a fair range. A 1m jammer probably won't be particularly dangerous, but it won't stop people from livestreaming you either. A 5m one wouldn't stop people from livestreaming either (I am pretty sure the Google Glass has a good enough quality camera to distinguish people from 6m away) but would piss off some people.

You would probably need something around 30m or so until you become indistinguishable, but then you are pissing a lot of people off (the denser the population, the higher chance of being livestreamed). Its not just people in the immediate vicinity either, as you move around you will cause peoples conversations to end abruptly.

How can you justify doing this anyway? You are going around and disrupting peoples phone usage, while asserting that your cause is more important than them. To most people, being livestreamed isn't some great violation of morality. You haven't actually justified doing any of this yet, and your response to the idea that you are negatively affecting other people seems to be "screw 'em". Your morals are above the law, and above other people apparently. You haven't explained why being livestreamed is such an abhorrent violation of morality.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2014, 07:40:54 pm »

I suspect this thread might benefit from a reboot with more definite parameters. I'm not certain everyone is talking about the same things. And I think some of the people who think they're talking about the same things, aren't.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2014, 10:08:06 pm »

^^Agreed.

Again, this topic relates to generational values differences. Technology routinely challenges status quo worldviews. Just remember this conversation when you're older and people younger than you can't understand why you'd be uncomfortable breeding human/dog/antaran chimeras in your backyard and getting a temporary gender change at the reassignment kiosk so you can give birth to the puppies to feed your pet snake. I mean, seriously, what's the big deal? You can just change back, right? And yet do you see how "you can just change back" completely misses why such a scenario might seem weird to you?

30 years ago the idea that people would be walking around with with video cameras strapped to their face able to record everything you do and make it available to the whole world would have been just as weird.
That's a horrible analogy. And also I won't be plagued by that particular brand of ignorance no matter how old I get, sorry.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2014, 04:19:18 am »

Google glass goes on sale again tomorrow. One day only.

http://www.google.com/glass/start/how-to-get-one

"On April 15th at 9am EDT, you’ll have a limited time chance to join the Explorer Program. "

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleGlass/posts/HaUCDHtRvcn

"Tuesday, April 15th at 6am PDT, we’re opening up some spots in the Glass Explorer Program. Any adult in the US* can become an Explorer by visiting our site and purchasing Glass"

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2014, 04:21:12 am »

They're clever: Now it's old news, and the negative repercussions will be mucch smaller.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]