Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are some free to play multiplayer games like space station 13?  (Read 12378 times)

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile

Title. It's specific but i wanted to find something cheap and fun to play with my friends during the summer but space station 13's horrid graphics and wonky interface turned me off too much.
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are some free to play multiplayer games like space station 13?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:46:42 pm »

What like. Genre are your friends interested in? To be honest I can't think of any other game like SS13, so if you want that only with less terrible graphics and less being on byond you will be pretty much be outa luck. Probably. Multiplayer simulation arn't really a thing that exists for the most part outside of ss13. On the other hand if you like the hidden role aspect you could try the mafia section of fg&rp. Which is sorta like the traitor thing in ss13 only played on a forum.

On the other hand, if you just want to play ftp games with your friends, warframe, dota2, and path of exile are all good.

Warframe is a FTP FPS, although I didn't get far into it because I am not a fps player, it seemed good from what I played, although I have been told it gets grindy/repetitive later? So you will have to like the gameplay. (Although I'd argue that's not really a weakness persay.)

Dota2 is probably doesn't need a introduction, but in case you don't now it's a free moba game, it sure is stealing away a hour or two every day for me and my friends currently. It's also probably one of the freeiest mainstream games there is.

Path of Exile is a FTP game that's a lot like Diablo 2. It's got a very nice business model (I sometimes wonder how they can make enough money on it, it might be almost as free as dota). I'm not really sure if I liked it as much as Diablo 2 to be honest, but it's hard to argue with it's price and it's still a very fun game. I personally found it a little short (although I've not actually finished it yet, but I know I am close) so it might not last your friends all summer if you only play the game though once and don't replay it on the higher levels. (How it works is you play though the campaign though three times, each time at higher levels and higher difficulties, and then you eventually get the ability to make randomly generated dungeons with random traits. Although all the levels of the campaign are also randomly generated, but not with random traits.)

These are sorta the first three that sprung to my mind. All of them free and fun and all very different. So I hope at least one is to your fancy.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 12:14:04 am »

The only thing I can think of that is close to SS13 is The Ship and it's not free.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 12:26:57 am »

the ship is basically a direct copy of the goonstation experience, therefore i recommend it

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 12:46:58 am »

SS13 is truly unique, why do you think there are still so many communities that still play it? I know there are a few remakes out there, but they are focusing on the creepier aspect and are unfinished. Like Criptfiend said, many describe SS13 as real time mafia, so that might suit your fancy.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 01:00:14 am »

2d spesshmans is unique, there is nothing like it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 01:22:18 am »

Someone on these forums was trying to make a 3D SS13-like, and seemed to be getting along with it too, but I don't know the status of that. Might have to dig through the Creative Projects forum.

Yeah, the reason Space Station 13 is still played in spite of being ugly, awkward and on the generally kind of awful BYOND engine is because it's very, very unique.

You might like the ship, but it's just a shooter in terms of mechanics, it doesn't have the massive amount of things to interact and roleplay with that SS13 does.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 03:27:21 am »

If you have Warcraft 3, there used to be a multitude of Parasite or The Thing custom maps.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.