Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the most unlucky death you have witnesssed?  (Read 1757 times)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
What's the most unlucky death you have witnesssed?
« on: April 10, 2014, 06:00:59 am »

because I think I have a pretty good one:
I'm just chilling in fortress mode when I see
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think, hmm ok what could that have been?  so I zoom to the location
nothing untoward seems to be going on.. so I check the combat logs:
turns out he was being chased by a badger, and smartly (strange for a dwarf) ran towards the traps, only to have the badger explode into pieces and kill him.  How come this never happens when a goblin gets sliced up next to his buddies? :(
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:03:48 am by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the most unlucky death you have witnesssed?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 06:12:23 am »

Hahahahahahhahaah, that is hilarious.

Can't remember any unlikely deaths, but im sure there's been many in my forts.

Midas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:26:55 am »

My Legendary Engraver was killed by the chicken. He was standing on the hatch while engraving, and stupid bird (as I can see from reports) jumped from below -> broken skull/neck.

Roostre

• Bay Watcher
  • DF addict since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:28:14 am »

There was one fort where a three-year hiatus passed between goblin sieges. That gave me ample time to outfit the militia with steel and train them up. When the mongrels finally returned, the men were good and ready. Being fully-armored, the dwarves were entirely covered save for their mouths. I had great resources on my side.

The RNG, on the other hand, sided with the enemy.

The second best fighter in my military charged toward a goblin squad with a steel axe in tow. A mace-goblin with a copper hammer took the first swing of the battle, hitting my number-2 square in the mouth. He died instantly. Three man-years of training, down the crapper in a flash.

No one had tried so hard and for so long, with zero results, since SETI.
Quote from: Ronnie James Dio
Beware; you've found the answer.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:44:30 am »

Back when I still did things like deadly gauntlets to root out the weak Dwarves e.t.c, one Dwarf was injured and recovering well in hospital enough that he could actually leave. Stitched up, hobbling out on his crutch - it looked like he'd make it just fine, and I considered it a success for the Fort's healthcare. That was until, the chief medical Dwarf threw a sphalerite boulder at him, crushing his skull as he was leaving the hospital.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 01:23:28 pm »

Back when I still did things like deadly gauntlets to root out the weak Dwarves e.t.c, one Dwarf was injured and recovering well in hospital enough that he could actually leave. Stitched up, hobbling out on his crutch - it looked like he'd make it just fine, and I considered it a success for the Fort's healthcare. That was until, the chief medical Dwarf threw a sphalerite boulder at him, crushing his skull as he was leaving the hospital.
Clearly the chief medical Dwarf had not cleared him to leave yet.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 05:12:44 pm »

I had an Axelord Vampire, who lived in seclusion in a separate wing of my fort. As the fort defenses were overrun and the gobbos breached the dining hall, he was released. With a mighty yell, he charged down the stairs to kill the goblins. A goblin stabbed him in the foot and he tripped down the rest of the stairs. Dead, just like that.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 05:32:35 pm »

I recall one time I was opening up the central stairs in a fort to sunlight. This involved the removal of stairs, followed by their reconstruction.
Several times, miners would finish removing stairs when someone was on them. This once resulted in a drop to the level above SMR, which was not survived. But that isn't the crazy thing. Having seen that, I started building hatches a bit down from where I was doing stair replacements. This way, if something like that were to happen, they would land on the hatch cover instead of on the magma-warmed surface at the bottom of the shaft.

A bit later, I was watching my mayor, who I suspected was a vampire. Now, I don't really like vamps in my forts, so naturally after getting DFHack to confirm, `vampire` decided to head up the stairs from the mines (they were also an engraver, and I smooth/engrave old shafts before sealing them off).

`vampire` seemed to have the unlucky timing of heading through the hatches the moment a child witnessed the cruel hand of gravity after the removal of the steps below her feet. She fell, and crashed into `vampire`. Since the hatch hadn't had time to close yet...

IIRC I built a tomb for that child.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 02:01:00 am »

Unlucky? Nope, but stupid and ridiculous as hell.

My adventurer cooked himself between 8 campfires who were protecting him from Bogeymen.

But he became a roast. Oh well...
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 04:41:53 am »

Zaneg McSargeantDwarf, leader of the 2nd squad of melee veterans, survival of several years of fort mismanagement and several sieges, as well as his own forgetfulness of his armor parts while doing danger room training, incredibly tough, mighty, basically unbreakable, indefatigable, iron willed, amazing recuperative powers, amazing spacial sense and a lot of other amazing traits. A nightwing siege arrives, one of many, and even before the last of the last siege's corpses had been cleared. Zaneg  goes along with all 30 dwarfs of the military to fight a squad of 10 nightwings, all of them melee, only one elite mace lord. A page of combat later he gets poked( and I mean POKED) in the foot by one of the novice nightwings, the mace lord not even near him, he faints from the pain and shortly after gets poked in the brain. I save scummed 3 times and every freaking time the same thing happened until I just kept him in the fort and the siege was dispatched without issues by the rest of the military....guess that's dwarf destiny for you...

Urist McScribe, survival of several sieges, a plague of rabies, a necromorph apocalypse, several accidents with the entrance drawbridge(forgot a note for the lever, oops :D ) and confined to the interior of the fort to just freaking do his job instead of wandering the battlefield for scraps of metal. Frost giant thief gets scared and enters the main stairway, makes it to the level where McScribe was, my firemage just finishes training at around the same time, gets scared by the thief, throws a fireball straight into Urist, who, even after I tossed some water on him using DFHack, perishes from blood loss...
Urist McSoldier, age 19, enemy of several civilizations/governments even before coming to my fort, already with a name for himself after a couple of sieges in which he killed 10 enemies, despite not having a lot of skills, the best armor, or even a good weapon, survivor of grievous wounds after the last siege. He is sent along with a squad of veteran lords to finish off a nightwing which had flown over the walls during a siege. He fights the nightwing on the wall, aided by the veteran hammerlord, he dodges and falls on the outside of the walls, gets up, kills another nightwing, dodges several arrows, almost makes it to the trapped gate, gets poked in the foot by another nightwing, before the rest of the lazy squad assembles to get to him, collapses and is killed...

Cheers

Vidox Darkling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 11:30:08 am »

Masterwork Dwarf Fortress. Warlock Fort Mode.

A skeleton was mining out a pit in the caverns for our Overlord, Dargor's, throneroom. He fucked up and a cave-in happened. His left leg fell off. He then proceeded to spend three months down in the pit, while Dargor was being a cunt of an overlord. And he was somehow the happiest motherfucker in the place. Dargor got torn apart when he went berserk. With his asshole self gone, we finally had the time to pick up Urist McMiner, our trapped skeleton. Once we retrieved his body, we fixed him up, and sent him out with a crutch in hand.
Once he got outside, he ran into the Overlord's ghost, who proceeded to tear his other leg off.

God damn it, Dargor.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 01:45:59 pm »

At Start.I dig down deep.And found 3 caverns.
One of my miner tired and sleep on caverns floor.
At that time one wild Reacher walk on his head. :o
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:29:27 pm by Philii »
Sorry for Grammar.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 07:42:41 pm »

I had hatch covers over my ramps in case of potential invasions. Once, I saw a dead body on the ramps. turns out high traffic + hatch covers cause injuries.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 10:13:31 pm »

I had hatch covers over my ramps in case of potential invasions. Once, I saw a dead body on the ramps. turns out high traffic + hatch covers cause injuries.
Weird, were dwarves going though the covers? I'm thinking what happened might have been similar to mine, except with hatch covers instead of stairs.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.