Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning the map  (Read 5603 times)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cleaning the map
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:23:50 am »

Yo,
So I'm playing MW mod with a 3x3 embark, smallest embark ever for me, about 160 dwarfs now. Except, even though I organized my dwarfs and stockpiles better, and the fort is not that big, and I haven't even discovered the 3rd cavern, and the mess is a lot smaller than my 80 dwarfs vanillaDF first-time 8x8 embark fort with constant 80 fps, I get around 17-25 fps in this fort, have been since before 100 dwarfs. What might be causing this much lag? I know I at least played the sieges a bit better and forbid everything outside the fort. Barely 6 years in. There are a lot of dead outside from all the sieges, could that be the major FPS loss cause? I have a river, but my vanilla fort also had one, and I have a minimum channel of running water, a dwarven water reactor that only OCCASIONALLY works, that's about it.
this is the save if anyone wants to check it out:
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/f4bca14e43d08916392294bd1fcaed0320140326183630/cdcf83a84601bfe16ecb247fdbbb769520140326183630/4677f5
Masterwork mod 4h.

My question is: which DFhack commands can I use to place all the corpses outside in a 1 tile pile/delete them, and also clean the dead list, delete the items outside the fort, etc..?

Cheers

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning the map
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:31:56 am »

Check if temperature is ON, if weather is ON for a start. This will slow down fps death.
Large numbers of hauling jobs will cause fps drops too.

You may be looking for "autodump" which will send all items marked for dump under your cursor, or "autodump destroy" which will destroy all items under your cursor.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:44:54 am »

Here are two functions in DFhack I use to keep my FPS up.

clean all
autodump (after marking a bunch of stuff for dumping, and putting cursor under my atomsmasher)

So far it has always been enough for me to have a good FPS.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:49:07 am »

"autodump destroy" which will destroy all items under your cursor.

To clarify, I believe this command only destroys items under your cursor that are already marked for dumping.

This topic mentions cleaning the dead list.  It doesn't appear to give any noticeable performance gain but of course you can try it anyway.

EDIT: You might also want to consider how your dwarves are pathing.  Try to make use of traffic designations to stop your dwarves from considering dead-end routes.  For instance, adding a few tiles of RESTRICTED traffic going into a cave that you don't use may help speed up their pathing decisions (or walling it off entirely until you decide to use it for something).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:57:31 am by Canisaur »

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:59:53 am »

"autodump destroy" which will destroy all items under your cursor.

To clarify, I believe this command only destroys items under your cursor that are already marked for dumping.
You are right, I wrote too fast.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:10:45 am »

Please keep mod/dfhack questions in the proper places. MDF has an entire board of its own for a reason. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 12:13:11 am »

Though we should probably clarify that autodump destroy will destroy all items marked for dumping, not just the ones under the cursor. Use destroy-here to only affect the selected tile.

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 06:29:42 am »

Step 1) d - b - c ---> claim everything you want to delete
Step 2) d - b d ----> mark it for dumping
Step 3) Go to dfhack, type "autodump destroy" without the quote marks. If it worked, it will say how many items its deleted.

Protip - you can skip step 1 and go to the stock screen, and mass designate whole categories of items for dumping. VERY useful tip for deleting all of those shit clothes.

Autodump destroy is literally required in my opinion, for vanilla fortresses at least. Sieges simply leave too much shit, one dead enemy can be upwards of 20 haul jobs. Thats 2000 haul jobs for a smallish siege, you could run your fort for a year solid and they wouldnt finish hauling it all. Then you would have more sieges and ambushes showing up adding more haul jobs.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 07:58:28 am »

Falconne has an amazing plugin here called "Auto Trade, Auto Melt & Auto Dump".

It will mark for dump everything in a given stockpile every interval or so. Combined with an automated dwarven atom smasher you should be able to keep your fortress clear of useless items.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 02:16:34 am »

Step 1) d - b - c ---> claim everything you want to delete
Step 2) d - b d ----> mark it for dumping
Step 3) Go to dfhack, type "autodump destroy" without the quote marks. If it worked, it will say how many items its deleted.

Protip - you can skip step 1 and go to the stock screen, and mass designate whole categories of items for dumping. VERY useful tip for deleting all of those shit clothes.

Autodump destroy is literally required in my opinion, for vanilla fortresses at least. Sieges simply leave too much shit, one dead enemy can be upwards of 20 haul jobs. Thats 2000 haul jobs for a smallish siege, you could run your fort for a year solid and they wouldnt finish hauling it all. Then you would have more sieges and ambushes showing up adding more haul jobs.

Armok bless you, this is precisely what I have been looking for. So long excessive goblinite!

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 06:23:02 am »

Seems I'll need the goblinite on my current map, actually. Still no iron to be found, only copper. Though since it's Masterwork I'll need to do something about the rust first.