Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have there been any updates since 34.11?  (Read 902 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Have there been any updates since 34.11?
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:16:34 pm »

I just came back (a week or so ago) after about 6 months off.  I see a lot of notes by Toady on the front page about changes, changes, changes... is there an update/beta/thingit?  Or are we still in waiting mode?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Have there been any updates since 34.11?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:43:24 pm »

Nope.

Not yet.

SOON.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 02:21:56 pm »

Sigh.  "Are we there yet?  Now?  Now?  Now?  How about now?"

LOL.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 07:33:45 pm »

I think it should be said that if you have to ask if there's been an update then there hasn't been an update. Toads operate on a different time-stream to other creatures.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 07:44:52 pm »

still in waiting mode, perhaps near the end, but i retain a healthy pessimism for the timeframe.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 08:50:21 pm »

If you are looking for bugfixes, however, DFHack provides a number of them, and Mantis has a number of binary patches.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:17:08 am »

I believe that Toady would commit himself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of releasing a new Dwarf Fortress version.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:13:17 am by Urist McRas »
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 09:41:07 am »

The log from 03/19/2014 makes it sound like he's approaching a release, though obviously we can't predict the time frame very well.

He said he wanted to do "a test run with a dwarven adventurer from depot to depot through a tunnel", and that appears to have been resolved by 03/23/2014 (or at least he stopped talking about it).  Then, he wanted to have "liaison commenting on the world situation in dwarf mode", which was apparently finished on 03/26/2014.  He wanted to post "the plant list", which he did on 04/06/2014.  That leaves "that information screen I mentioned in the FotF thread not too long ago", "some checks with guards/intruder" and "some sort of nod to vampires/gods ruling civilizations".

I wouldn't be surprised to see a release in early May, but I wouldn't gamble on it either.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 10:35:04 am »

To add to greycat, there was a mention that at least some more work has been done on the info screen. However, it's also been mentioned a couple of times that after that feature list is done, he's still going to test that the game is somewhat playable (no major crashes or obvious errors) before releasing it, which could take weeks, although hopefully not months.