Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DT Alternative  (Read 1088 times)

thesuker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DT Alternative
« on: April 06, 2014, 10:37:12 am »

Are there any tools, similar to Dwarf Therapist, but a bit less cluttered?  Maybe more individual, as in one tab per dwarf.  At first I don't have problems with it, but when there are 20 dwarfs on screen, I find it hard to keep track of them.

lechium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DT Alternative
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 05:16:15 pm »

DFHack with labor screen plug-in. u-l. It doesn't have a screen per dwarf but it's the only alternative i know of.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:47:22 pm »

At first I don't have problems with it, but when there are 20 dwarfs on screen, I find it hard to keep track of them.

Are you missing a digit? 200 is an easily achievable and horribly unfortunate goal. There are lots of ways to sort them in DT, I find migrant wave is the best way to keep track.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:54:09 pm »

It helps to have a process. Dozens of unsorted and unorganized dwarves are tough to deal with regardless of tool.

I go through a process every time a new batch of dwarves comes in.
1) Switch to "Sort by Migration Wave" to bring the newbies to the bottom of the list.
2) Give all the newbies the custom "Laborer" profession so they are set to do all the unskilled - and none of the skilled - tasks.
3) Check through to see if any of them are more skilled at a skilled profession than any of my existing members.
4) Swap their professions as necessary.
5) Confirm changes.
6) Switch back to the "Sort by Profession" mode.

I keep a "Noble" profession with no jobs enabled in order to make clearing out all jobs easy and to keep from tricking myself into thinking someone has a job when it's a noble who won't do it anyway. I keep a "Soldier" profession for the same reason. Newly grown-up dwarves are Peasants, and thus separate from sorted laborers. Skilled dwarves are force-named-profession to what I have them do, so that the Master Cheesemaker I have doing smithing will be referred to as the smith and not Cheesemaker.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 05:24:03 pm »

Perhaps you haven't seen the grouping features in Dwarf Therapist yet? They let you place dwarves in a group that can be hidden, which makes it easier to pay attention to the more important dwarves.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 12:18:00 am »

I use nicknames to "process" migrants. I look at their skills and what is needed, assign them fitting skills and remove the rest, then give them a new name (using REPLACE_ALL) which also ensures families have family names and so on. This way I don't even need therapist to separate the migrants from the rest, just to easily see which skills are needed.