Poll

Should I post this save?

Yes.
- 6 (50%)
No.
- 6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Long Worldgens Thread: Generated a medium world with 403 years of history....  (Read 3543 times)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've heard that turning off hyperthreading can help, but can't say anything on that, really. Does anyone know if making DF large address aware helps?

Large address awareness definitely does help with world gen. It seems like it may help during the regular game as well but that may be just subjective wishful thinking but with world gen I am quite certain. My worlds can go centuries further without crashing.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

I've heard that turning off hyperthreading can help, but can't say anything on that, really. Does anyone know if making DF large address aware helps?

For those of us using Mac or Linux though, what then? If I ever get worldgen crashes, it appears to be an in-game bug rather than the memory use exceeding 4GB or so. There is plenty of RAM available.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Large address awareness definitely does help with world gen. It seems like it may help during the regular game as well but that may be just subjective wishful thinking but with world gen I am quite certain. My worlds can go centuries further without crashing.
LAA does help, but I don't think it has to do with speed.
If you reach the memory limit, the game has a tendency to crash, at least on windows(At least thats how I remember it). Thats very easy to do during world gen, or playing large maps. In linux or mac the OS may try and swap memory. Not really what swapping was meant for, so it probably doesn't, but if it does swap out memory then making it LAA will improve speed when you hit your memory limit, because you won't have expensive read's and writes to the disk constantly. But I think this is wishful thinking, and it probably just crashes there as well.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I’ve taken a few more looks at the world and I am seeing some pretty large tombs - 5x5 or even 7x7. Do the tombs sites actually expand in size (tile coverage) during worldgen or are their sizes set from the beginning?

I’m actually considering sending out an adventurer to check these places out.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

I actually once successfully ran a whole 10,000 year world gen on a pocket world.

The elves went extinct around the year 100, which made me laugh so hard.

The only surviving creatures were goblins, a small cave of kobolds that somehow managed to survive, and exactly 3 dwarves, all various were-beasts living in holes in the ground, around the desolation of the original mountain home.

I really wish I still had the save to that, I need to try that again some day.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just now I’ve sent out an adventurer in this world. I have nearly a year to play out as a human adventurer before I absolutely have to start establishing a fortress for 1st Granite 403 (the year is 402, and as we all know starting a Dwarf Fortress skips to 1st Granite of the next year), so I can do crazy stuff.

In adventurer mode, DF is loaded up with 1.5GB of data. Is this normal or a bit much?

I actually once successfully ran a whole 10,000 year world gen on a pocket world.

The elves went extinct around the year 100, which made me laugh so hard.

The only surviving creatures were goblins, a small cave of kobolds that somehow managed to survive, and exactly 3 dwarves, all various were-beasts living in holes in the ground, around the desolation of the original mountain home.

I really wish I still had the save to that, I need to try that again some day.

That sounds about right for a pocket world. How long did that take to generate?

Also here’s the population stats for the world just after worldgen:

Civilized World Population

325898 Dwarves
   149454 Humans
   244895 Elves
   330340 Goblins
   26794 Kobolds

Total: 1077381
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:04:08 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: 1 [2]