Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pen and Paper Role Playing open poll  (Read 585 times)

uncle.kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pen and Paper Role Playing open poll
« on: April 10, 2014, 03:59:54 am »

I've been playing for over a decade now. On forums. On chats. Live. Whatevs. Tried this and that, played Warhammer 1 and 2, tried Dungeons and Dragons 3'n a half and ADnD2. Played CP2020, Neuroshima, old WoD, new WoD. Wild Fields, Savage Worlds a bit too. Tried Call of Cthulhu, Stalker, Fallout, Necroscope, Star Wars. I'm currently reading Riddle of Steel. List goes on and is surprisingly big even to me.

So here's the question to you, fellow old school roleplayers and game masters. During your experience, what were the most innovative mechanics solutions you've seen so far and in which systems? Not "neat", like "oh wow, it's a nice spell, double fireball", I mean, really innovative. Like "oh, so we can skip HP and instead track wounds and blood loss?".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pen and Paper Role Playing open poll
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 04:08:23 am »

It would be player narrative power.

I've been such a fan of it ever since I've seen it that I kind of never want to host a game without having it in some way. It is honestly a shame my personal friends are not as big of a fan.

The two systems that do it in a notable way

FateRPG: So you just beat a challenge... what happens? You decide. Did you disable your attacker? Did you chop off his head?... As well you have Fate points with allow little vetos and story elements to just pop up in the game.

Dresdan RPG: An RPG where world building is a group exercise. Every player creates several locations, characters, and even contributes to the overall themes of that individual game. While I have no interest in running this game, I actually keep a copy just for this feature.

Both of these just made me fall in love with the concept.