Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Programmable Work Events"?  (Read 662 times)

secretlyabarnowl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"Programmable Work Events"?
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:59:35 pm »

I think that it'd be a great idea for dwarves to have some kind of way to responding to events like when an item is added to a stockpile they'll automatically put something in a particular work queue. I know it's possible with minecarts but I'm not given to build tracks in my hallways thank you very much. Also, I'm wondering if there's a way to stop jobs from autocancelling and just pausing them like a Fey Mood does when the dwarf in question lacks the material to build their artifact.

Here's some examples:

Wood added to stockpile > When wood exceeds 5, burn 3 pieces of wood between 3 furnaces (1 each) > Turn resulting ash into potash via workstation.

More than 10 dwarf corpses in a stockpile > Smelter starts making job requests for dwarves to follow > Metalsmiths make more weapons / armour.

Of course, this may already exist ingame, but I don't know.
obliged to play dwarf fortress

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: "Programmable Work Events"?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:28:27 pm »

• This seems like a Suggestion (for future reference.)
  • It's the #1 wanted thing on the Eternal Suggestion Voting.
  • DFHack's Workflow command is probably the closest thing we have right now. (It doesn't do various conditions, though. It only maintains minimum amounts of stuff.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:50:07 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?